Wrist or AI computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the AI would be useful for a beginner in any event - this will allow you to collect useful data on SAC rates which can allow you to see your improvement over time and to provide some feedback on things that you do during certain dives that affect your breathing. Although not an absolute must, if you can afford AI, I would go for it.

MechDiver once bubbled...

You missed the point Karl.

I got the point, the post was a lot of angst about a lot of beginner issues, at least when it comes to night diving.

I find night diving to be totally relaxing. Totally different than his description. And I especially love the phosphorescense. Thats why I go out there at night.

A night dive is also a perfect example of when to have a small pony bottle with you. Even with your buddy too. It takes the angst out of having to read your SPG every few seconds. Not that its a substitute. Just another measure of backup.

I expected some responses to my post and got them. Here are some of my comments.

paulwlee
You clearly have some different experiences with your console that I with mine.
- Like you I can ascend looking up
- I can check all my gauges in one blink, you will need 2 blinks since you have a wrist mounted computer and a SPG on a hose.
- Like you I need one hand to check all my gauges.
- A console is no heavier than a computer plus an SPG.
- I have the feeling that you are comparing your wrist computer with an old depthmeter+SPG console. I am talking about a modern lightweight light-integrated console. In the end however everyone should use what works best for him/her.

scubasean
Gas management by intuition? LOL. How do you use an SPG to backup[ a computer?

mechdiver
If your only contribution is name-calling, please find a different forum.

karlincalifornia
I must be a very slow learner...:wink:
"your dive plan and your SPG will become your primary en-route tools, with your digital depth gauge as your primary egression reference". I think you're mixing up your gauges here, but if you're referring to the air calculation feature of the hoseless AI computers I do agree with you.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ScubaRon once bubbled...
I expected some responses to my post and got them. Here are some of my comments.

scubasean
Gas management by intuition? LOL. How do you use an SPG to backup[ a computer?

Sorry Ron, but you may have missed my points...I'll try again.

The primary difference between an AI comp (your recommendation) and the wrist mount nonAI comp(what I recommended) is the air pressure feature...

I use my SPG to determine how much air I have. But, I did say I can estimate in my head, and am fairly accurate, thus making it necessary to only check the SPG every five minutes or so for verification. The checking of my SPG every five minutes addressed your apparent and expressed need to check "continuously" which is IMHO unnecessary.

I have no clue what point you were trying to make...and asking about how I backup a computer with an SPG makes no sense to me in the present discussion...If your AI comp fails, you lose more info that I do if mine fails...At least I still have pressure information.

I use a hoseless air intergrated computer on a retracker hooked to a D-ring on my shoulder strap. it very easy to read and stays out of the way- For me it works but it might not be right for everyone. I orginally had it on my wrist but i did not like it their when i was going it tight spaces i found myself bumping it on wrecks i was on.

ScubaRon once bubbled...
You clearly have some different experiences with your console that I with mine.
- Like you I can ascend looking up
- I can check all my gauges in one blink, you will need 2 blinks since you have a wrist mounted computer and a SPG on a hose.
- Like you I need one hand to check all my gauges.
- A console is no heavier than a computer plus an SPG.
- I have the feeling that you are comparing your wrist computer with an old depthmeter+SPG console. I am talking about a modern lightweight light-integrated console. In the end however everyone should use what works best for him/her.
[/B]

I think you missed my point. I need to check air fewer times than the computer, especially during ascents, as then I need to semi-constantly moniter depth and ascent rate. For this, I only need a blink instead of a grab/blink. I also need no hands to check the depth/ascent rate, and can be holding something else or be fiddling with a spool, or whatever I want, as long as my right arm is in front of me. This is the major advantage of a wristmount for me. Maybe for you it didn't work as well, if you tried and didn't like wristmounts.

As for the weight, I am referring to the less bulk and less weight that you would have at the end of the HP hose, which makes the SPG pretty much unnoticable. I guess if you have a small air integrated computer at the end of the hose with no compass, then it would be about the same. (If you have a compass there, then you need a long hose, and the whole thing will be larger, so it will get as bulky as a console.)

This is really a matter of personal preference, but I just wanted
to pitch in with my preferences as you did yours. :wink:

Here are a few more things to consider in the pro/con categories

Console Con
- You need to be careful when moving your tank around so that you don't accidentally smash the computer. Generally when putting on or taking off. I smashed my compass once this way, much more careful now.

Wrist Con
- If you habitually feel the need to wear the computer on your left wrist you may find it awkward or even difficult to read it while venting from a BC or a cuff dump on a dry suit (assuming left cuff). Of course the easy suggestion is to wear it on your right arm. One other trick, wear it with the guage on the inside of your arm, it gives a little more protection, and if you are hanging on a line or doing an out of air drill, you can still see the guage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom