Writer's query: Long Island Sound Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Scubaboard;
I'm a writer doing a series of articles on VHF radio use. Recently I posted a blog entry of the audio of a mayday call a diver made to the Coast Guard from Long Island Sound, New York.

I'm having difficulty gathering info on the accident, such as where it actually took place (Gates Island?), whether the female diver was rescued, and what was the role of the diving boat that seemed (?) to have been able to respond on-scene before the Coast Guard.

I/ve created as accurate a transcript of the recording as I could, using subtitles.

The audio and subtitles are embedded here:

http://paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com/2007/05/panic-mayday-vhf-ch-16east-coast-us.html

Any info appreciated. A google search yields nothing, and Coast Guard logs don't seem to contain date or disposition.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Bolonsky
adambolonsky at yahoo dot com

Do you have the date of this event? If you have the date, you could then do a search for accidents on that date.

Rick Inman:
Do you have the date of this event? If you have the date, you could then do a search for accidents on that date.

Hi Rick,
no, I have no date for the incident. The Coast Guard doesn't readily add dates, etc. to their media.

I was hoping someone might recognize the audio or offhand remember the incident.

Is "Gates Island" a Long Island destination for scuba? Or is it local's name.

Gates Island Long Island Sound doesn't yield results through google.

Thanks,
Adam

Back
Top Bottom