WTB balanced primary 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you'll be buying my old one, then?

What do you have....maybe.

If you are putting the second behind a balanced first stage, a balanced second stage will buy you nothing. The purpose of balancing a second stage is to keep the stage breathing constantly as tank pressure changes ....which is exactly what balancing the first stage does by keeping the reg's IP constant so using a balanced second stage behind a balanced first stage does nothing. I am not saying that all second stages breath the same , some second stages breath better than others for sure but balancing is not the reason why. A quality unbalanced second stage connected to a good balanced first stage and tuned by a good tech can breath just as good as a balanced second stage, maybe even better depending on the 2 second stages you are compairing. Maybe what you need is a good tech instead of a new reg.

I have a pair of X650's in basically new condition - I'd sell one or both of them for $170 each.

What do you have....maybe.

If you are putting the second behind a balanced first stage, a balanced second stage will buy you nothing. The purpose of balancing a second stage is to keep the stage breathing constantly as tank pressure changes ....which is exactly what balancing the first stage does by keeping the reg's IP constant so using a balanced second stage behind a balanced first stage does nothing. I am not saying that all second stages breath the same , some second stages breath better than others for sure but balancing is not the reason why. A quality unbalanced second stage connected to a good balanced first stage and tuned by a good tech can breath just as good as a balanced second stage, maybe even better depending on the 2 second stages you are compairing. Maybe what you need is a good tech instead of a new reg.

All great points, Herman.

I have an XS scuba trimetal. Just had it serviced. The tech pointed out some wear in the 2nd stage housing (the air tube can rotate slightly) and said the reg was usable but possibly succeptible to freeflow and recommended a new 2nd stage. I dived it in Roatan- the reg worked okay, but was really finicky in adjustment. I took it back to the tech afterward, and he basically said, "see, I told you"- wouldn't even put it on the bench. (you're right, I need a good tech. I suspect he didn't use factory parts, but have no proof) I dived it a couple of weeks ago in Catalina, and had some positive pressure issues. Guy at the shop there tuned the 2nd all the way out and said I was pushing 150 lbs. IP- probably too much. Dived it two dives- worked okay, but not what it should be. I bought the reg 2nd hand over a year ago, so have no recourse (suppose I could try) with the manufacturer, so I'm looking for economical solutions. I like the Trimetal 1st stage... but I'm thinking I might just replace the whole thing.

Thanks for your help, folks-

I bought an Oceanic Delta 3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom