WW11 airplane found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know the rules and regulations for salvaging a WW2 airplane? So here is the jist of it, I got word of a world war 2 bomber that had an engine failure and landed in a fresh water lake near this area. I havent actually gone to look for it yet because the lake is still frozen. I am pretty sure my source is reliable but need to see it to beleive it. the lake is an average of 85 feet and a max depth of 192feet, does anyone have a good sugestion on how to find the location? it isnt a huge lake but big enough that you dont want to go down there and look at the whole bottom. the second thing is does anyone know the hoops you need to jump through to salvage the plane? I do have full intentions of recovering it and restoring it as I am an aircraft maintenance engineere and i have the skills and resources. I just need to know if transport canada or the military is going to jump on me and pound me hard if I take it. Also some sugestions on floating it to the surface would be helpful. once its on the surface i will pull it to shore with a D8 cat but geting it up there may be a challenge.
A sidescan is the best way to find that wreck. If its the wreck in Thutade Lake i belive its really a DC-3. I dove there about 10years ago. We scanned the lake with normal sonar and dove many targets. Found no B-17 wreck or parts. At the top of the lake by Thomas Peak we found seats with ash trays on the surface above the lake near a small rock quarry along the mine access road. It belonged to Central Mountain Air i belive. It can be found online. We didn't get any support from the mine but they said they would help with any medical problems we had. The area we did most of our search was on the opposite side of the lake across from Mt Forrest. If your getting information from a guy name steve or Darrel than be careful. I never got paid as promised and had to fork out dollars to help the search party. Best of luck whatever you do. Would be glad to pass on maps and copies of dive logs and other information etc. Beautiful place..lots of moose and grizzlies. We had a bear check out our boat one evening. We scared it away with pots and pans. You'll need a radio and good tires. We bought fuel from the mine at a truck stop the company had about half way up the road. There was a guy living in Moose Valley. Real nice fellow. When we first meet him we found out that we weren't the first people up there looking for the wreck. The mine has a sercuity force and you'll most likely run into them. There was a hunting camp at the lake edge just before the falls. We had a camper and rented a small boat in PG. The lake is actually very big. We were there in Aug and woke one morning to frost and temps in the single degrees. Its a high lake so remember to set your regs and carbs on generators and dive tables. We had a aircraft engineer with us as well. If you find it I have paper work on were to attach lifting hooks. The government was only really concerned with bombs or guns that maybe on the wreck when we contacted them. The Navy will have to clear those if any, be careful as they may be unstable. Let me know if you need any help. I have videos of the road and lake.

Last edited:
Mitchell ... B-25 not B-17! Twin engine, twin vertical stabilizers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom