Wyndham and Sand Dollar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjsdive

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove with Sand Dollar Sports At Wyndham Cozumel Resort? We are going with a group in March and were wondering what there reputation is for experienced divers. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sand Dollar has 1 small fast boat for the more experienced diver. You most likely have to dive on one of their other boats first so they see your skills. SD is a contract op with the cruise lines so they have schedules to keep. Their dives tend to be shorter than most and have many beginners.

They are good at their kind of diving but it's not for me. However you are going with a group so you may be able to fill a boat with just your people. If so they won't have the time constraints unless they need the boat for PM dives.

The shop and pier are on the north end of the property and has showers and lockers. They do have a counter pool side that has sign up sheets for the deeper dives and far south sites. I would contact them soon as March is a busy time for them. Talk to the manager about a boat just for your group---they have an 8 pack fast and a couple 16 passenger boats.

BTW if you don't use them they charge you $3 a day to use the pier for pick up by other ops.

If your group members can do 60 min on AL80's on 80' multi-level dives and your grouped with their standard dive schedule you will not be happy.

i have dived with sand dollar sports on three different vacations. we had a great time they took us to all the good dive spots. boats are fast and comfortable. crew very helpful. divemasters very professional and know the area. they seperate experianced from begginer.we were never rushed .
on our next trip if the weather permits i am going to try to set up some diving on the east side of the island i dont think sand dollar offers this. i have heard that aldora can set this up.

The resort is nice, sand dollar, well... If you are an experienced diver you will be disappointed unless you can get on their small boat. Even then....there are better dive ops. Yes the $3/day dock fee is stupid, but I'd rather pay it and dive with a better operator. If Sand Dollar really offered a competent operation, they would not need to charge a "dock fee" as folks would just book with them. My 2 cents.

I can speak with absolute certainty about the quality of Sand Dollar and their staff.

My wife and I, who are both PADI Divemasters, have been diving with Sand Dollar for several years... and are more than satisfied. Each time, they have shown the utmost care and professionalism.

We have never had any issue with bottom time, location of dive sites, or feeling rushed on our dives. They also make every effort to separate experienced/inexperienced divers on different boats.

I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

(As an aside - Regarding the nominal charge for using their pier, they have every right to impose this fee. The pier is not owned by Wyndham. In fact, Sand Dollar used their own money to build the pier, and I believe to maintain it. If someone is not diving with them, and decides to use Sand Dollar's facilities, Sand Dollar has every right to charge a fee... it makes perfect business sense. Would you want someone using your facilities, deriving the benefit of using your property, and not paying for part of its staffing/upkeep/maintenance? I think not. geeeeeze... the nerve of some people to think they are "entitled"- to think they deserve a handout.)[/SIZE]

Jeff
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

Don't hold back, Jeff. How do you really feel about the criticism of the $3 fee?

Seriously, I agree with his comments regarding Sand Dollar, but the key is to identify yourself as an advanced diver and to insist on diving with other comparable divers. Typically, you'll get about an hour of bottom time--possibly not as long as other dive operators, but, in my opinion satisfactory.

As stated, since you have a group, make your booking early and get a private boat suitable for the size and skills of your group.

Bottom line...I have been very pleased with my recent dives with Sand Dollar.

(As an aside - Regarding the nominal charge for using their pier, they have every right to impose this fee. The pier is not owned by Wyndham. In fact, Sand Dollar used their own money to build the pier, and I believe to maintain it. If someone is not diving with them, and decides to use Sand Dollar's facilities, Sand Dollar has every right to charge a fee... it makes perfect business sense. Would you want someone using your facilities, deriving the benefit of using your property, and not paying for part of its staffing/upkeep/maintenance? I think not. geeeeeze... the nerve of some people to think they are "entitled"- to think they deserve a handout.)[/SIZE]

Jeff
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page[/QUOTE]

I have never dove with SD so I can't comment on them from a diving perspective. There certainly has been a lot posted about them from members who have. A search will provide a lot additional information.

As for the pier fee that SD charges (as well as a few others), I just don't like the concept. I understand that they built it, own it and maintain it. They built that pier out of neccesity for their business, letting someone get picked up there costs them nothing.

I assume that on occasion they pick up clients at other piers. Do they pull up and offer the pier owner $3 per client at every stop, requested or not. Or do they let them jump in and drive away. My guess is that they don't pay unless they have to. Free pickups at piers is a long standing professional courtesy for others in the dive community on Cozumel. The fee seems petty to me.

Looking at it from another perspective. I'm in the restaurant business. Often nonpatrons will come in and use my bathrooms. I don't discourage it, give them the evil eye or charge them a fee. Instead I keep my bathrooms and restaurants nice and clean and wish them a good day. I try to make a good impression and hope they will return as a customer in the future. It works.

Yes they have the right to do it, but they can also choose not to.

Just my two cents.

Hey jpdunc!!!

Good to see you online. How's my favorite "mistress"? Give her a big hug for me!

Oh yeah, I tried to talk Jamie into meeting up w/ya'll at Wyndham/Sand Dollar Thanksgiving Week++, but apparently we've got other commitments (I'm being sent to the "family" asylum).

You know we've got a group going there the first week of Feb, though, diving w/our favorite Divemaster(s) at SD. Still hoping your meetings get canned and you surprise us with a phone call that you'll see us there in Feb.

Otherwise, we'll just have to hook-up at DEMA/Orlando in Nov. 2009 ?? (or we may come down sooner).

Jeff.

I can speak with absolute certainty about the quality of Sand Dollar and their staff.

My wife and I, who are both PADI Divemasters, have been diving with Sand Dollar for several years... and are more than satisfied. Each time, they have shown the utmost care and professionalism.

We have never had any issue with bottom time, location of dive sites, or feeling rushed on our dives. They also make every effort to separate experienced/inexperienced divers on different boats.

I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Jeff

Hey jpdunc!!!

Good to see you online. How's my favorite "mistress"? Give her a big hug for me!

Oh yeah, I tried to talk Jamie into meeting up w/ya'll at Wyndham/Sand Dollar Thanksgiving Week++, but apparently we've got other commitments (I'm being sent to the "family" asylum).

You know we've got a group going there the first week of Feb, though, diving w/our favorite Divemaster(s) at SD. Still hoping your meetings get canned and you surprise us with a phone call that you'll see us there in Feb.

Otherwise, we'll just have to hook-up at DEMA/Orlando in Nov. 2009 ?? (or we may come down sooner).

Jeff.

OK, just so I have this right. You are heaping praise on Sand Dollar, slamming the use of the dock for free by other dive ops, and are trying to fill a trip you are running there using Sand dollar in Feb. Just wanted to make sure this was an "unbiased" opinion..... :D

First of all Thanks! to all who responded. I guess I know what direction I will go. I have heard good things about Blue XTsea and Aldora and will investigate them further. Any comments on them?
Again, thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom