Wyndham Sabor 4/10 - 4/18 Detailed Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
APR 10-18: Know it’s long but wanted you to get the whole experience.
This is my first trip to Cozumel, wanted a diving vacation to celebrate my birthday. The past 2 yrs have been cruises. Just wanted to see what a land vacation offered. After searching travel sites I booked through Orbitz in Dec for an 8 nite stay at the Wyndham (AI) and added the Sabor for an addition $7 per nite. With air from Nashville the cost was $986.61 including airport transfer. I thought this was a great valve at $68 per nite for an AI resort (solo) – so I booked it. Don’t think I would return if I had to pay much more. Dive with Martin is my dive op – separate review on this forum.

Flights: Going: Flt was from Nashville to Charlotte then to Cozumel on US Air. Checked in on line the day prior to departure. 2 bags were going to cost $50. ($20 for the 1st and $30 for the 2nd). Had option to upgrade to first class for $150. I jumped on it. First Class doesn’t have to pay for baggage plus free drinks. Figure it cost me an extra $51 to go First Class after subtracting the cost of baggage and drinks. Well worth the extra cabin room. Hey, I’m on vacation.

Returning: Checked in online the day prior. Had the up grade for the first leg of my flt for $100. Once again jumped on it. No $50 for luggage (2 bags) plus free drinks. After a few drinks the upgrade cost me $22. Checkin in at Cozumel went smoothly. There is duty free shops. But if you buy booze and not on a direct flt to your home, you will have to put it in your luggage after clearing customs for you go through security again. We were the only arrival, the whole process went very smoothly. Cleared customs, picked up luggage – through customs again and drop off luggage before having to go through security again to re entering airport - took all of 18 mins.

Airport:
Arrival: Plane arrived on time. Within 30 mins of landing had my bags and through Customs. Got the green lite. They will go through back backs by hand. Wasn’t an issue finding my scheduled transportation.
Departure: No issues with security into airport. Beer cost $5 US. Before boarding the plane security will hand check all carry on bags. I was an unlucky one that had the pat down, shoes off, etc. Still took only a few mins.

Wyndham:
Arrival: Being at the Sabor you get a private check in and concierge area. Arrived at the Wyndham side. Told bell hop I was registered at the Sabor. He loaded my bags on a cart and took me to the concierge desk. Waited for check in and them took me to my room. Given card to use for beach towels. Cost $24 if you lose your towel. Cost $200 at Sabor and $150 at Wyndham if you lose your braclet. They were color coded and plastic. I never wore mine until Wed when informed I had to. Kept it locked in my room safe before that. Also given plastic cards to be used for reservations at Robertos. Checked in around 2:30 and room was ready.
Departure: Took less than 5 mins to check out and be on my way.
Transportation: Pre booked hotel transfer through Orbitz using Gray Line (cost $37). I know I can get it cheaper, but being solo it comes out to be almost the same cost for a taxi. After thought wanted to cancel but not able to do so since. Dropped off in town to pick up my rental car instead of the Wyndham. Didn’t use the return portion. Isis – car rental took me to the airport at no charge.

Taxi: Lots of cabs around. Cost $15 - 1 way for up to 4 people to town, $20 to airport. Add an addition person $5. I rented a car (VW Bug) for $30 per day including all insurance. Make sure you have peso for gas. The station I used wouldn’t take US dollars.

Sabor Side General:
Sabor Room: Booked a pool view located on 2nd floor. Room 4425. Room was set up nicely. King bed, sofa, coffee table, desk and chair. Even when the lights on at nite the room isn’t very bright. Mini frig stocked with 2 cokes and 3 beers (SOL and Dos Equis) and 2 bottles of water also a coffee maker. Check when first arrive to make sure frig is on. Bathroom - hair dryer, shampoo etc and large shower. Balcony – plastic chairs and a table. Also a hammock. Upon arrival I let the maid know that I wanted more than 3 beers left in the frig stocked. Of course, I left tips - $2 per day. Usually would have 5 -6 beers left everyday. Also check that you have an umbrella in your room. If not, when it rains they will be hard to come by. They don’t get them on the Wyndham side so keep an eye on it, mine tried to walk away a few times.

Hot Water: From Sat arrival until Thursday nite all I had was luke warm water. What made it great was that Thurs nite was my nite dive and we were having thunderstorms so I was really cold and wet. Last shower before leaving on Sun morning – cold again. From talking to others this was a problem throughout Sabor. Some days hot others not. I took the advice from a poster on trip advisors and let the hot run for 20 mins – didn’t make a difference.

Upkeep: There was always someone cleaning and taking care of the grounds. We had a lot of rain in 2 days and the pool did get a little green. They were shocking it and it did take care of the problem Think it may have been all the rain water washing off the grass bar roof that drained directly into the pool. Maid service took very good care of my room. Room service dishes left outside the rooms sometime were there for 2 days.

Flooding: While diving 1 morning a severe rain storm came through. When I got back part of the beach sand was washed away. Some walk ways were under water, tennis courts flooded, Sabor pool overflowed, some rooms flooded – 1 st floor, heard of 1 on the third floor. Portion of town also flooded.

Food: Staying on the Sabor side lets you use all the Wyndham side facilities and services but not vice versa.

Sabor: Room Service: 7 AM – 9:30 PM, comes from the Mosaique. Only ordered once and arrived in 20 mins and was hot. From the amount of dishes I saw outside the room – a lot of people use it. Limited menu but was satisfied with the burger and fries and desserts I ordered.
Mosaique: The place was clean and service was excellent. Everyone treated you like king/queen. Leaving a tip even made the experience that much better. Would remember what drinks you liked, etc. Extra cost: ribeye and new york steak - $14, lobster - $23.
Breakfast 7 AM – 11 AM; ate 1 time, Tip: if you are in a hurry just ask them for some fruit and toast. Ordered off the menu only once. It was a good sit down breakfast. Eggs hot but they preload the plates with hash browns before opening – so they were cold.
Lunch 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM; ate 4 times, tried most items and always enjoyed it.
Dinner 6 PM – 9:30 PM (reservations required – 8 AM – 3 PM at Concierge Desk, check you can make reservation for at least 1 day in advance); ate 5 times, enjoyed all my meals except the sweet and sour pork one nite. Might just be me. I really thought the food was excellent and service always great.
Sabores: Swim up bar 10 AM – 6 PM. Tomas bartender. Worked his tale off. Don’t forget to tip him. A lot of people had large drink containers including some Colemen insulated 1 qt mugs. Tomas was happy to fill with whatever you wished. Cuts downs on the bar trips. Also name brand liquor unlike the Reef side. Make sure you asked for it or you will get the well stuff. When they ran out of name brand stock it, (they would only have 1 bottle of each), it would take a couple of days for them to restock. Example: arrive Sat – by Mon out of most everything, wasn’t restocked until Fri.
Cacao: Lounge next to Mosaique: (6 pm – midnite). Was the hang out for people eating late and for those that ate early for an after dinner drink. Has 1 pool table. Same situation about the brand liquor.
Wyndham: La Isla: Buffet style. I didn’t each much here except for breakfast but made a point of walking through it to check food selection. Agree with other posters – if you only ate here I could see how the food selection would get old.
Breakfast 7 AM – 11 AM; ate 5 times. Premade scramble eggs always cold. Was always there right when they opened. Fresh fruit. Best bet, get eggs to order. Limited menu and for comparision – far below Shoney’s breakfast bar.
Lunch 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM; ate 1 time. Much better than breakfast.
Dinner 6 PM – 9:30 PM; ate 1 time. Food was good but limited selection. Desserts lacking.
Snack 10 PM – 1 AM; 1 time. Basically a really small selection for the drinkers that didn’t make dinner. Hamburgers, fries, 2 other meat dishes, rice, etc.
El Marinero: Snack bar on beach. Lunch – hot dogs, etc. 11 AM – 6 PM and 10 PM to 1 AM; Pictures above grill are your menus items to choose from. Only had nochos, Maybe a step above a fast food MX place.
Robertos: Dinner – Italian Food 6 PM – 9:30 PM (reservations required – 12 PM – 3 PM at La Isla – check you can make reservations for more than 1 day in advance). Extra charges: rib eye and new York steak - $14, lobster - $23. Had reservations twice but canceled because of rain. When raining 1 walkway to the Wyndham side would have 1 in of water covering it. Didn’t want to walk through with good shoes. Heard the food was good.

Wyndham Side General: Wi Fi in lobby only. Pool larger. Bar right on the beach. Money change at front desk. Vendors sell stuff at nite. Also shows and music. Never stayed around at nite just walked through.

Beach Area/Snorkeling: Beach area large and although I didn’t snorkel, the folks I talked to seem to enjoy it. Lots of marine life.

Sounds like it hasn't changed much at all.
Alledgely there should be wifi in all the RCI members rooms and an improved menu.
BTW, for those who haven't been there it is really three "resorts" Sabor is the upscale section, the standard wyndham section and the third is the RCI members section.
Next time you might consider a different carrier than US Air. IIRC Continental and Delta allow up to two checked and one carry on at no additional cost.
Thanks for the review, I will be there in 12 more days.
I can't wait....

My one and only time in Cozumel was at Wyndham at Sabor...We stayed in an upper 1st floor room right next to one of the slides that go to the pool. We had Wifi in our rooms as well as the main lobby area. I was able to video chat with the wife and kids on skype (it was a mancation. None of the wives dive). kinda fun to whip the laptop around and show them the nice views while they were locked in cold and snow!!!!!!!

Great information, I'm going to be there in 3 days! My first trip to Cozumel and I can't wait.

This is for anyone staying in the Sabor section. Don't try and set any speed records going down the water slides!!! I found out the hard way that it's possible to launch yourself like a rocket right over one of the berms! :shocked2:

I cleared some shrubs and landed in the grass heading feet first into some square concrete box! I was lucky I didn't fly another six inches or I might have been on crutches for the rest of the trip.

I spent the extra to stay in Sabor the first time, but I've just gone with the regular Wyndham section ever since. I didn't find the extra cost worth it.

We'll be back down this Monday! Can't wait! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom