Question XDeep Zen vs Zeos and Steel vs Alu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stefos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It's time for my own BCD and I'm looking for XDeep Zeos and Zen. As many others before me I have a problem with choosing the proper lift capacity. Usually I dive with 7mm wetsuit (sometimes with a vest) with boots, 12 Lts tank and usually I have 4 kgs extra. I'm 1,70 and usually I weight between 80 to 85 kg.
So my 2 questions are:

1) Do i need more than 13 kg? Should I go for the 17 kg or I need the 19 kg lift? I should add that I try to dive as minimal as i can which means apart from my GoPro and a light I don't have anything else with me.

2) Should I go for the Steel plate so I won't have to use extra kilos or at least use minimum possible or should I go for the aluminium one and use extra kilos?

I would like to travel but i do not know how often I will travel (especially for diving) so I do not know if I should take it into consideration.

Given your setup I would go for aluminum plate and 13 kg lift unless you plan to go for steel tanks and/or double backmount

Thanks for your answer.

Talking with the guy who owns the diving center I'm diving he said 13 kilos as well.
I don't think I will dive double, at least not in the near future.

I m thinking of the steel plate thought so I will need less kilos on the pockets.

Thanks for your answer.

Talking with the guy who owns the diving center I'm diving he said 13 kilos as well.

I m thinking of the steel plate thought so I will need less kilos on the pockets.
If you go for smaller 13kg wing, I would not go for a steel BP. You may end up in situation (e.g., with heavier cylinders) where you will run out of lift. Also as you become more experienced, you will likely reduce the wieghts you need and will not be able to reduce weight of the BP. AL is also more travel friendly.

I have a problem with choosing the proper lift capacity
The wing must do 2 things: 1) float your rig without you at the surface, 2) float your rig+you at depth. When lead is on the rig, #1 is the driving requirement (since a wetsuit helps in #2). Just add up buoyancies:

Empty euro 12 L is -1 kg (on average)
Air in tank is -3.6 kg (1.3 g/L, assuming 235 bar)
Regulator is -1 kg
AL plate is -0.7 kg
Current lead is -4 kg
You need 10.3 kg lift to float the rig without you. A 13 kg wing would be plenty.

If your rental BC is less negative than an AL plate (likely), you can drop some lead == more margin. (Maybe a kilo?)

If you choose a steel plate (-2.3 kg?), you drop ~1.5 kg lead (=2.3-0.7), leaving 2.5 kg lead carried (maybe 1.5 kg depending on current BC). Possibly losing this as you become more comfortable. You don't sound excessively weighted at present, so I think this is plenty of leeway.

(I didn't look up the particular plates you're considering, so adjust the above as appropriate.)

As far as travel, you didn't say if that 4 kg lead is for fresh or salt water, but I'll assume fresh. Given your weight, you would add 2.5 kg lead for salt (~2.4% of total mass). If you're traveling, it's likely you would be in a 3mm wetsuit (drop ~3.5 kg from the 7mm lead requirement). A steel plate would be fine for travel (possibly perfectly weighted).

A steel plate is an issue traveling IF it kicks you over the weight limit. I would go steel in your case since a lightweight AL plate can be had very cheaply ($75 USD) IF it becomes an issue.

Adding to Inquisit post : before you go for the zen, try it. It has a quite specific bouyancy profile, quite different from "traditional" design and it may not suit you

Hmm, just saw you're from Greece., So my fresh water assumption on your current 4 kg lead seems shaky. Travel may warrant an AL plate.

Edit: travel may also utilize AL80 tanks, buoyancy +2 kg. That's a +3 kg swing over your 12 liter steel tank, so steel is probably fine for travel to a Carribean (3mm suit/AL80) destination.

As far as travel, you didn't say if that 4 kg lead is for fresh or salt water, but I'll assume fresh. Given your weight, you would add 2.5 kg lead for salt (~2.4% of total mass). If you're traveling, it's likely you would be in a 3mm wetsuit (drop ~3.5 kg from the 7mm lead requirement). A steel plate would be fine for travel (possibly perfectly weighted).

A steel plate is an issue traveling IF it kicks you over the weight limit. I would go steel in your case since a lightweight AL plate can be had very cheaply ($75 USD) IF it becomes an issue.
I think the difference between the plates is 1,8 kg. So i don't think it will be a problem for travelling. Especially if I do once a year at best! And as you said later is salt water

Adding to Inquisit post : before you go for the zen, try it. It has a quite specific bouyancy profile, quite different from "traditional" design and it may not suit you
Ι will go for Zeos but I haven't used backplate at all so i would have to learn

Back
Top Bottom