XTX 20 vs XTX 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wern Yi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
Really need some advice from you folks. I live in Malaysia and i intend to do a lot more diving in the South East Asian region, i.e. Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines and Thailand. I will be doing mainly recreational diving up to maybe 30m max and i hope to take up UW photography or videography later. I have no intention of doing any cold water diving. Having read up on the Apeks website, I am thinking XTX20/US4 vs XTX40/DS4. Apart from the price wouldn't a DS first stage be an overkill anyway?
Appreciate any thoughts on that. Thanks.

It is really, although it is nice having that extra seal keeping everything dry around the spring.
The end cap on the unsealed 1st stages is a bit of a water trap when cleaning.

you can'T go wrong with the xtx40/DS4. It is good for cold water and being sealed, the first stage will not accumulate debris and thingy from the water. All my first stages are DS4 and I dive in all conditions. Never had a problem with them.

Although I've switched to HOG gear from Apeks, I agree w/the others, the DS4 is a good solid 1st stage [unless you want the swivel ]..Keep in mind it only has 1 HP port...I used them hard for cave/tech diving and never had a problem...You'll have to send/give them to an authorized dealer for routine maintenance because they won't sell parts to divers.......But an XTX40/DS4 would be a good choice [the XTX50 would even be better if you're going to be diving regularly and for many years........

Thanks Fish/Xaryo/j2s,
Greatly appreciate all your feed-backs. Helps with the decision making process.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 11:01 AM ----------

Thanks j2s, your reminder leads me to this question for the manufacturer;
Dear Apeks person-in-charge-of-questions,
Do you have an authorised dealer that handles maintenance in Malaysia/Singapore? If not, how does one in this region seek service for their equipment?
Thanks.

Yes, Apeks service and parts are available in Malaysia / Singapore.
If you would like to private message me with your email address, i will have our SE Asia agent contat you with specific locations.

Back
Top Bottom