XXXL BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathon - I am new to diving (taking my OW certification in 2 weeks) and have been worrying about purchasing a BC and wetsuit for the 'larger' frame. I am 6'6" and have a 54" waist (although I am trying to get to a 52" <S>) Let me know how the Dive Rite Transpac II works for you. I also saw on the IDI website that their ID Ballistic XL is supposed to fit up to a 54" waist.

The Transpac II in XXL is certainly very adjustable and it is more than enough for my 54 waist. It's also really well made and offers a number of possible setups. I have the Rec Wings, and I feel that they may be more wing than I really need.

After 3 dives with it I'm still not feeling that I have it optimally adjusted. I got the ditchable weight pockets, and they are set up to strap to the waist belt and the bottom of the shoulder straps, so they sit over the little SS triangles that join the two straps. I also got a pair of different size pockets. Additionally, the cummerbund only comes part way forward, and it has loops for the belt, and there are two movable D-rings on the belt, as well as the attachment for the optional (but essential) crotch strap.

It's complicated to get it all positioned so that the shoulder straps depart the waist belt at the right angle and nothing else on the waist band hangs up in the cummerbund strap or interferes with the main belt buckle etc. Each dive gets better, and next time I go out I am moving 4 pounds of weight a side to the rear of the harness, under the tank, so I only have 6 pounds per pocket. With 10 pounds in a pocket they tend to hang down and cause the harness geometry to distort.

I may order a sport cummerbund, which is a special custom item in a large size (I had to special order the whole Transpac II and wait 3 weeks) if I can't find a way to stop the chest strap/belt/weight pocket from interfering with the loops on the stock cummerbund.

Adjustment issues aside, it's the most comfortable BCD I've used, partly due to the crotch and chest straps which keep it where I want it, and I like the secure feeling that the tank is not flopping around. Perhaps if my LDS could have supplied it and helped me through the setup & learning curve, it would have been easier to tune it up. Instead, I had to order through Ocean Concepts on Oahu who have a fill station at Sports Authority on Maui where I picked up a box of parts.

I really need to take it to a pool or calm sandy bottom and practice ditching and getting in and out of it. I am concerned that I will need to get out of it one day and I will forget about the crotch and chest straps.

Best Aloha,

Jonathan

I have had it for about a year. A Transpack ll from Leisure pro. And no, it wasn't an outdated model. Mine has the Trek wing on it. I thought the Rec was a little big for my uses.
The weight pockets could use some work though. I've lost many weights out of the bottom of them. The velcro didn't fail. The small holes at the bottom of the pockets let the weight slip out. I guess that's why they sell weight pockets to fit your weights in before putting them into the drop pocket. I just went back to a weight belt. For doubles I use the BP and wing. For my own diving and not in the pool or with students I use the BP and wing with a single. Halcyon's new setup with the 27lb Pioneer. To many toy's to play with I guess.

Try moving your d ring and keeper up against the front side of the belt loop on the back of the weight pocket. I set mine there to keep the pockets from moving any farther forward (It takes a little playing with it to find just the right spot). and I can still get at the d-rings.
Some of you XXL's have an advantage. I put the weight pockets on my trans-pac and there isn't any room left on the belt for the other pocket I bought.:D

Tavi

Thanks for the tip, Tavi. I'll try it out next dive.

Do you use the upper loop and one lower loop on the pocket or both lower loops?

I am considering switching to the Halcyon weight pockets, which look more solid, at least in photos.

Best Aloha,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

All three loops get used. Comming from the back of the BC the belt goes through the steel plate,behind the rear loop, out and through the other side of the plate, so the plate is trapped there.Then it goes through the other loop.The shoulder strap goes up through the top loop. It's illustrated on page 29 of your owners manual.
Also I use the weight pocket inserts. I like the system. To help my trim I've attached 2, 1 lb ankle weights to the little d-rings on the back of the harness, they fit perfectly between the top two d-rings.

Let me know how you make out with it.

Tavi

Great. I see that's where I've been going wrong. I've only been using two loops, and so the pcket tends to flop around.

Thanks,

& Aloha,

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom