XZ-1 + UFL-2 + UFL-1: Guidance Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still a relative newbie to underwater photography, with two years and maybe 15 dives with my XZ-1, PT-050 housing, and small UFL-1 strobe under my belt. I've been ecstatic at some of the pictures I've been able to take. But it's clear I need a more powerful strobe. The recommendations I've received have centered on the Sea & Sea YS-D1 and Olympus's own UFL-2. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the UFL-2: It's less expensive, and I assume it will integrate flawlessly into a master-slave setup with the UFL-1.

My question is: Am I right - can I set up the two flashes via TTL as simply as I think? Or is this more complicated than I understand?

Also, in reviewing these boards, I get conflicting notions about whether the YS-D1 has full TTL functionality with the XZ-1. That's another reason (in addition to price) that I'm passing on it. Does anyone know the full story - and if so, can you explain it in terms a noob would understand?

Final question: Anything else I ought to know about moving from a single, low-powered strobe setup to a dual-strobe setup with a higher powered lamp?

I appreciate anything and everything you have to offer.

I tried the UFL-2 with the XZ-1. I wasn’t too impressed with its performance. The XZ-1 is an oddity when it comes to TTL compatibility. It doesn’t seem to work with a long list of strobe manufacturers TTL. You can check sea and seas website for the compatibility list.

SEA&SEA |

if it were me, I’d also look at the Inon strobes too.

there's some smoking deals on the EPL-1 and EPM-1 going on right now. i purchased the EPL-1 for 399 and have to say the picture quality and ease of use surpasses the XZ-1 and hte TTL works great with a variety of strobe manufacturers

might throw out the option of a new camera and housing into the mix, sell your xz-1.

What didn't you like about the UFL-2? What couldn't it do that you wanted done? I'm asking because, if it's that questionable, maybe I'll do my next trip with just my low-powered UFL-1 (which I'm getting used to), rather than go higher.

As far as upgrading, I've loved the XZ-1, and I'd rather get to know it better for a few more trips before I consider upgrading. But I will take your suggestion and check on the resale value of the whole rig after I get back from the next trip, and if I can recoup enough, I'll consider the upgrade.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2013 at 12:26 PM ----------

Let me ask you another quick, stupid question: In looking at the YS-D1 compatibility list you linked to (and thanks for that!) it says that strobe isn't compatible with the XZ-1 when the strobe is in DS-TTLⅡmode, but it is compatible in slave mode. Can you explain in layman's terms the difference? It sounds as if the YS-D1 won't work as part of a two-strobe setup, and can only be used as a single strobe, fired by the camera's built-in flash. Is it something other than that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom