Yap 2018 trip report & pix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Y18_6742(LR6)-3.jpg

I'm sure this will bring joy to your heart . . .

:)

The Yap 2018 trip report and pictures (yes, there's a bunch - but we saw a lot of stuff) are now ready for your dining and dancing pleasure:

YAP 2018 TRIP REPORT - Yap 2018 trip report

YAP 2018 SMUGMUG SLIDESHOW PIX - YAP - JUNE, 2018 - kenkurtis

Enjoy!!!

- Ken

Thanks for the well-written and informative report; since I highly doubt I'll ever make Yap, I skimmed over it, but you've got some interesting content that's not destination-specific, like this:

"#3 is that while you may carry diving insurance, does your regular medical insurance cover you for overseas medical problems? I thought about that a while back when I turned 65 and went on Medicare. Technically, Medicare A & B coverage stops as soon as you leave the United States or its territories. So it would apply in Hawaii and Guam, but not in Yap. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (C) or a Medigap Plan (F), then you MAY have coverage outside of the US proper. But you need to find out. And you can always certainly buy some form of travel insurance (I personally have the plan through D.A.N.) that's in addition to your diving insurance, but which will cover you for non-diving medical needs as well as cover things like trip interruption, extra expenses for evacuation, lost luggage, and things that might arise from a medical and some non-medical problems that occur during a trip."

I'm not 65+ yet, but something to be aware of.

Your Yap Immersion approach sounds like a fine way to do things; getting the benefits of a group trip (nice with far-flung destinations) plus a deeper experience with the history.

That said, and no disrespect to Yap, what led you to settle on it for repeat immersion trips, vs. other potential destinations (whatever they'd be)? Is it the war history? Just wondering where else your immersion approach might be extra special.

Richard.

That said, and no disrespect to Yap, what led you to settle on it for repeat immersion trips, vs. other potential destinations (whatever they'd be)? Is it the war history? Just wondering where else your immersion approach might be extra special.
No disrespect perceived.

Specifically with regard to Yap, I'd always wanted to go to Yap since I was five years old (true story) because of the Stone Money. On top of that, on my first trip there in 2002, I just really got along well and sort of bonded with the owner of Manta Ray Bay, Bill Acker, dive guide John Pekailug, and boat captain Willie, not to mention the rest of the staff. And that's a relationship that's grown over the years. I really do feel like one of the family there, they really take good care of me and my groups (and not at the expense of other groups who are there at the same time), and that all translates into a trip experience that transcends just the diving.

I also think Yap has a lot to offer. Not every dive is spectacular but the mantas, sharks, and Mandarinfish are all very interesting dives. The people are really friendly, the history of the culture is interesting (in addition to the Stone Money), and you definitely feel like you're in a foreign country yet there's a lot of familiarity (language being a big one) too.

By going back to places I've been before (I ran annual Sea of Cortex trips for 26 years straight with Baja Expeditions and the Don Jose, I go to Manado, Indonesia, a lot to dive with Murex and Danny/Angelique/Basrah/Hanny/etc., same with Maldives, Isla Mujeres, and other places), I've already got an idea of what the good spots are and what the less-than-good spots are. I've also got a good sense of what the operators can and can't do. And because they already know me and how I operate, I'm likely given a bit more leeway and latitude than perhaps someone they didn't know.

So it all adds up to a better trip for the people who choose to book with me,hopefully an easier/better trip for me since I can anticipate pitfalls, and hopefully a better group experience for the dive operator since I;'ll ride herd on my group (and we generally tip fairly well). Win/win all the way around.

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom