Yap - Pathways or Manta Ray Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Water Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Next box to check off on the around-the-Pacific dive itinerary is Yap. Anyone here have recent experience with Pathways on Yap, and if so how does it compare to the Manta Ray Bay packages?

Thanks

Dan

Hey Dan, I was wondering the same thing. Does MDA have any package deals?

You should also check out Yap Pacific Dive Resort (formerly Trader's Ridge). By all reports the grounds are beautiful, the dive operation is superb, and the dining better than Manta Ray Bay.

these 3 places are so very different I'm not sure you can readily compare packages. We were there in 2006 so my info is possibly dated but FWIW-

MRB is on the water (harbor not beach), so has that convenience of strolling out to the boat. It's a nice dive resort and it was all basically fine (though I wasn't super crazy about the way the dive op did some things - don't know if any of that has changed. I'm sure I wrote about this on some old thread here.)

Yap Pacific (which we toured when it was still Trader's Ridge) was very nice. It's up on a hill and their beach area/dive shop is not exactly what I would call on site. You have a bit of a walk/climb to get there or I think they will drive you down. I thought the food was better here and the rooms/grounds were much nicer. MRB was in the middle of renovations at the time, but I'd guess Yap Pacific is still nicer, it was just designed as a more upscale place to begin with.

I haven't been to Pathways, but from what I know it's a much more rustic place than either and probably the least convenient to dive from. When we were at MRB there were some people from Pathways diving with us. I seem to recall they were ok with it as an interesting experience but really wanted to be at MRB (which was full) and were trying to move. I don't recall if that was more for convenience or the hotel itself, probably both.

Hey Dan, I was wondering the same thing. Does MDA have any package deals?

They pretty much have a package deal to anywhere out here. They have a special in April to Yap that we're probably going to book.

these 3 places are so very different I'm not sure you can readily compare packages. We were there in 2006 so my info is possibly dated but FWIW-

MRB is on the water (harbor not beach), so has that convenience of strolling out to the boat. It's a nice dive resort and it was all basically fine (though I wasn't super crazy about the way the dive op did some things - don't know if any of that has changed. I'm sure I wrote about this on some old thread here.)

Yap Pacific (which we toured when it was still Trader's Ridge) was very nice. It's up on a hill and their beach area/dive shop is not exactly what I would call on site. You have a bit of a walk/climb to get there or I think they will drive you down. I thought the food was better here and the rooms/grounds were much nicer. MRB was in the middle of renovations at the time, but I'd guess Yap Pacific is still nicer, it was just designed as a more upscale place to begin with.

I haven't been to Pathways, but from what I know it's a much more rustic place than either and probably the least convenient to dive from. When we were at MRB there were some people from Pathways diving with us. I seem to recall they were ok with it as an interesting experience but really wanted to be at MRB (which was full) and were trying to move. I don't recall if that was more for convenience or the hotel itself, probably both.

Didn't know about Yap Pacific, I'll check them out. Not that it sounds like there's anything wrong with MRB, but it's nice to know all the options. Yes, Pathways seems to be the kind of place that you want to experience, but maybe not for a week or 10 days. We might stay on a extra few days and book a hut at Pathways after the dive tour.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far.

I will be at Manta Ray Bay Resort on Jan 30th - Feb 6th, 2011. I would be happy to share my impressions of this resort and their dive op although I will not have any other places in Yap to compare it to.:)

Manta Ray Bay without any question. Best dive op on the island and a gorgeous resort. (Get room 308 if you can. Best room in Yap.) Trader's Ridge is a very nice place but their dive ops are offsite and they're not really a dive-dedicated resort.

I've been to Yap numerous times and always stay at MRB. Use this link and scroll to the bottom and choose from three different trip reports and sets of pictures:

The Picture Page

- Ken

Manta Ray Bay without any question. Best dive op on the island and a gorgeous resort. (Get room 308 if you can. Best room in Yap.) Trader's Ridge is a very nice place but their dive ops are offsite and they're not really a dive-dedicated resort.

I've been to Yap numerous times and always stay at MRB. Use this link and scroll to the bottom and choose from three different trip reports and sets of pictures:

The Picture Page

- Ken

Great report and pics, Ken. Thanks. We're thinking of extending the Yap trip into a full week and hitting Palau for 8 days first.

pathways is not a resort/dive operation, so if you're really intent on having stupidly easy access to dive boats (as in, roll out of bed, go downstairs), this would not be the place to stay. additionally, if you're addicted to air con and western-style accommodations, then pathways is also not the place to stay.

however, i was able to book two days of diving through pathways with beyond the sea. the open boats are small and could probably accommodate up to six divers comfortably, but seeing as it's a small operation, you'll have a very good chance of just diving with the dive guide and boat operator. walking from pathways to the boat is at most a 10-minute stroll, and the pathways owner was perfectly willing to give us a ride.

all that said, i would much prefer pathways to any other place on yap (with the exception of moon rize in the north), but that's primarily because i don't like resort-type places anyway. it's a relaxing place to be, has great porches for reading and in general hanging out, and if you're into sleeping "in the trees," is a very peaceful site. you can easily walk around kolonia, so it was also easy enough to book a kayak trip and manage some light hiking at other hotels/operations.

Back
Top Bottom