year out pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trewbs

Reaction score
I'm just about to finish my last year at school and I'm planning to take a year out. I was planning to get qualified as an OWSI and work for as much as the year as possible somewhere hot.

I was wondering if anyone has done this/ is thinking of doing this or has any comments or advice for me

trewbs
xxx

I did it in the West Pacific (Guam, to be exact), one year turned into two, etc. I finally ended up rejoining the real world after 3! It was a great experience, though.

trewbs once bubbled...
I'm just about to finish my last year at school and I'm planning to take a year out. I was planning to get qualified as an OWSI and work for as much as the year as possible somewhere hot.

I was wondering if anyone has done this/ is thinking of doing this or has any comments or advice for me

trewbs
xxx

You could do a lot worse than kick off in Koh Tao Thailand. This island has it's critics but overall it's a very fine place to learn to dive, it's cheap and it's simply great fun being there.
The island is only six miles by two but has around 30 dive ops and almost every visitor is there for the diving. There are a lot of Brits living on the island but it is a good cross section of almost every nationality and you'll make many many new friends for sure.
The diving is pretty good too and the ops there handle huge numbers of students and fun divers. If you are intending to be an instructor/DM you will get plenty of work. I did DMT there and clocked 57 dive 'leads' in two months and did 16 assists, apparently I was talking dive briefs in my sleep!. At peak times you sometimes get Dive shop managers scouring the bars at night looking for DM's to lead divers the next day.
Of course if you want to stay a year (and many do) there is a visa issue which you must look into. There are ways round that but I'm saying nothing.

:mean:

Koh Tao is not for everyone however and someone will be along in a minute to flame what I've said but I think you'll enjoy it. Just find Sari beach on Koh Tao and walk into Bans diving and tell them what you want -they do a good accom/course package and are reccomended.
Phil TK

trewbs once bubbled...

I was wondering if anyone has done this/ is thinking of doing this or has any comments or advice for me{/B]

Do it while you're young. The worst scenario would be to get there, not like it and return. That's much better then sitting there 20 years on asking "what if....."

Jersey has it right. Give it a try while you
can....there will never be a better time.
We envy you!:D

I'll third the motion of do it while you can. I had pland on doing the same thing about 10 years ago. I was working in Saudi Arabia for an American company at the time. I went through all of my diving classes while I was there from Advanced Open Water to DM. When I returned to the states I headed down to Florida and did my PADI IDC and IE with the full intention of heading to some exotic island and working as an Instructor for a few years. I never made it. I met this girl and didn't want to leave her behind so I stayed here and found a regular job. We split up about a year later and by then I couldn't afford to do it, I've regretted it ever sense.

The moral of this sad but true story....DO IT NOW, WHILE YOU CAN, OR YOU'RE GOING TO REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Good Luck,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom