Yes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>>Yes-sir, I did the same thing. Keep in mind.. ebay is your friend<<

Well, Christian might be sir but you got it wrong in my case :wink: I wonder if it’s even more incomprehensible to fall like this being from the mam’ side?

I sure have started eyeballing even eBay; got some vintage JetFins for a good price, and now that they are tested I need to figure out what size spring straps to get. Selling my stuff on eBay is a higher hurdle – I don’t think I need to totally get rid off too much. I’ll keep my TransPac for warm water gigs for now and start looking into which plate I want (I bet this will spwan a new thread because nothing is simple). I got to rent the one I had most reservations about (DR), so I am feeling quite relieved.

One downer I just might have realized – is it so that Poseidon’s regulators only work with exactly Poseidon’s hoses? Man I am going to take a hit replacing those. Anyone know of any better price than Diveinn’s? I’d hate to get rid off my brand spanking new Cyklon – is it going to be laughed at on DIR-F and more so: should I care?

Piikki

<<The Bob-envy I can't do anything about. I'm just lucky, what can I say?>>

Can’t you just send him here for a long vacation come next spring?

piikki:
>>Yes-sir, I did the same thing. Keep in mind.. ebay is your friend<<

Well, Christian might be sir but you got it wrong in my case :wink: I wonder if it’s even more incomprehensible to fall like this being from the mam’ side?

I sure have started eyeballing even eBay; got some vintage JetFins for a good price, and now that they are tested I need to figure out what size spring straps to get. Selling my stuff on eBay is a higher hurdle – I don’t think I need to totally get rid off too much. I’ll keep my TransPac for warm water gigs for now and start looking into which plate I want (I bet this will spwan a new thread because nothing is simple). I got to rent the one I had most reservations about (DR), so I am feeling quite relieved.

One downer I just might have realized – is it so that Poseidon’s regulators only work with exactly Poseidon’s hoses? Man I am going to take a hit replacing those. Anyone know of any better price than Diveinn’s? I’d hate to get rid off my brand spanking new Cyklon – is it going to be laughed at on DIR-F and more so: should I care?

Piikki

<<The Bob-envy I can't do anything about. I'm just lucky, what can I say?>>

Can’t you just send him here for a long vacation come next spring?
no way to know your sex, it's not in your profile.

Randy43068:
no way to know your sex, it's not in your profile.

No need to apologize silly! Actually I am very confused - my shorty says Lady (can't makeit on the pic but very very prominently), and my jumpsuit reads Man in two places. Which one should I believe
:11:

piikki:
Make a list of what all of your gear consists of and contact the instructor that you'll eventually be taking the class with to see what will work and what will not.

This will keep you from buying parts for some items to try and make them "DIR compatible", only to find out that there is something about that item that makes it fundamentally incompatible.

Christian

headhunter:
Make a list of what all of your gear consists of and contact the instructor that you'll eventually be taking the class with to see what will work and what will not.

This will keep you from buying parts for some items to try and make them "DIR compatible", only to find out that there is something about that item that makes it fundamentally incompatible.

Christian

That's a good point. Seems like there might be some differences between places for what I've read on the board. Some instructors/places are more 'tolerant' (at least on fundies level) when some require quite a lot of compatibility already at this point. Not much point changing much gear before spring anyway, season's over for wetsuits here in about a week (says buddy with blue lips). By spring should figure out who might be the chosen instructor.

*holding-onto-cyklon-with-shaky-hands*

piikki:
Not much point changing much gear before spring anyway, season's over for wetsuits here in about a week (says buddy with blue lips). By spring should figure out who might be the chosen instructor.
Here is a link to the GUE Instructor Database:

http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml

That will tell you where each instructor is located. From quickly looking through the list, it looks like depending on where exactly in New York you are located, either Bob Sherwood in Vestal, New York or Dan MacKay in Kingston, Ontario, Canada would be the closest choices. I've heard some great things about both of them and Dan literally wrote the book on DIR Gear configuration.

You should consider reading "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" by Jarrod Jablonski and "Dress for Success" by Dan MacKay as soon as you can. I believe this will be very helpful to you. I personally found both books to be helpful in giving me a better general understanding of DIR.

You may find that between now and spring could be a good time to start getting your gear together since some people may want to sell some of their equipment during the "off season" in colder regions. Supply and demand may turn out to be your friends. :wink:

Christian

Boogie711:
There's a simple answer to the whole Poseidon hose-length issue, especially if you're considering going DIR...

ditch it. Poseidon's aren't DIR anyway.

You sure this goes for Scandinavia too? I'd hate to return home to be told I need to purchase Poseidons to get in the circles :wink:

this goes for the world over. Its specifically stated that Poseidon regs are not DIR in the DIR book. Mainly because they take specific hoses and are an upstream design.

--L1234

Not all Poseiden's are upstream design. And I belive (Don't quote me) the others swap hoses with other first stages. I "think" the DIR idea is to maintain team compatibility. It's not so much that Posiden is bad, just that you need to be able to swap parts with your team.

It's not unusual to see Apeks, ScubaPro, and other regulators on DIR divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom