Yes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234:
this goes for the world over. Its specifically stated that Poseidon regs are not DIR in the DIR book. Mainly because they take specific hoses and are an upstream design.

--L1234

I my gosh. I guess I have to get those books. I am pretty sure Cyklon is downstream though but I guess that's not enough. Going to have to consider issues like what I can get serviced from where I come from. (I can never be truly DIR if I have to learn to service everything of the bat. I know Poseidons are known to be a bit of an issue to tune.)

I always wondered though - wouldn't it be more DIR to have less knobs and adjustments etc failure points on your regs? How does that go with all those e.g. ScubaPros and stuff that have all extra adjustment tidbits? (A thing I really didn't like, I shove the Cyklon in my mouth and it works great in every depth - and I have no intention of overhauling it underwater, so I didn't really care if I could take it into pieces easily at the point I bought it).

PerroneFord:
Not all Poseiden's are upstream design. And I belive (Don't quote me) the others swap hoses with other first stages. I "think" the DIR idea is to maintain team compatibility. It's not so much that Posiden is bad, just that you need to be able to swap parts with your team.

It's not unusual to see Apeks, ScubaPro, and other regulators on DIR divers.
I just wanted to quote you :D

Ok, but of the ones that are not upstream, are they overly complicated, and can you remove the faceplate and diapragm under water without any tools to clear debris out?

Which ones are not upstream? I thought that was Poseidon's "thing."

PerroneFord:
Not all Poseiden's are upstream design.

Soggy,

Come on now. I've never had a Posieden in my possession. I think they'd burn my hands after I've held the "Blue bible".

By the way, I managed to crack the glass on that SPG I bought from you. I wanted to cry. It broke last night in the pool, and I have a dive trip Friday...

I got it sorted out. A little operation called Cave Excursions is helping me out. I may need to order another SPG from ya in a few months for my doubles setup. It was a nice unit. I'll keep it around for pool duty.

PerroneFord:
By the way, I managed to crack the glass on that SPG I bought from you. I wanted to cry. It broke last night in the pool, and I have a dive trip Friday...

I got it sorted out. A little operation called Cave Excursions is helping me out. I may need to order another SPG from ya in a few months for my doubles setup. It was a nice unit. I'll keep it around for pool duty.

When "good deals" go wrong.
That sucks man! I cant imagine that it would crack like that w/ only a hand full of pool dives. I know your cautiuos w/ gear. I pretty sure it WONT happen w/ the DR one!

WaterDawg, this is not a case of "when good deals go wrong" at all unless you would be willing to say that Halcyon, Uwatec, ScubaPro, Salvo, and any number of other businesses gauges are problematic. They are all the same gauge, made by the same manufacturer. The only difference is I charge $60 for the same thing that Halcyon charges $125 for. And when I say the same thing, I really mean identical, with the exception of the little piece of paper inside the glass with the logo.

Something had to have hit it pretty hard at some point to crack the glass on one of those gauges. Perrone didn't indicate to me that he thought it was a defect in the gauge, in fact he is going to be buying more.

Perrone, please correct me if I am mistaken.

WaterDawg:
When "good deals" go wrong.
That sucks man! I cant imagine that it would crack like that w/ only a hand full of pool dives. I know your cautiuos w/ gear. I pretty sure it WONT happen w/ the DR one!

My Uwatec Master Diver gauge is Swiss made while many other are made in Italy.
Not saying that they are any worse, only stating that not all gauges are the "same". :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom