Yet another Belize advice thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just found the site and I'm already squeezing it for info! I'm planning a dive trip to Belize for mid-March with my girlfriend and another couple who we're friends with. So far from the information I've gotten here and elsewhere, I think we're planning on staying at the Banana Beach Resort and diving with Protech. This is the first real vacation I've ever planned and taken on my own (I spent most of my time since high school in college and working, not taking vacations!) so I'm finding things a bit overwhelming! We're certainly on a bit of a budget, but we would prefer to stay somewhere fairly nice, which is why I'm looking at Banana Beach. I also looked at Ruby's, but figured that after paying for air-transfer from the mainland, for a little less than $200 more per person its probably better to just go with Banana. If anyone else has another suggestion I'm still open.

As for the diving, I've looked at a number of dive centers, including Ecologicdivers and Amigos Del Mar. I'm pretty sure we're gonna dive with Protech (Peter I'll probably be contacting you as soon as my girlfriend gets her time off approved and we're sure we're coming), since I think we're all going to get our Nitrox certs and this seems to be the best place to do it! The other three people I'm going with all need to take their Open Water classes (we'll probably do a referall and do the confined water stuff here in CO), and since they'll all be in class anyway, I thought I'd just do my Advanced OW (I did my open water in Bonair in 1999, but haven't dived since, do you think that's a problem?). After that, I figure we've got about 2 1/2 more days of diving, what do people suggest? I had initially
wanted to do a Blue Hole trip because I thought it would be a lot of fun to see hammerheads, but from what I've read on this fourmn it sounds like they'd be far too deep for me to be diving.

Our intention is for this to be a primarily diving trip, although I wouldn't mind slipping in a day of fly-fishing if possible!

So tell me what all of you with more experience think! Like I said I've never really planned a real vacation myself and I'm not sure I'm not forgetting a lot. My ROUGH numbers are getting me about $1500 per person for 7 nights of lodging and 5 1/2 days of diving (not including food and tips, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all the advice and helping out the new kid!

Nate.

My wife and I have made Two trips to Ambergris (2005 and 2006), with lots of diving with Protech. Both trips were wonderful. Also Did my Nitrox cert with them 2years ago. You won't be sorry. :42: Ken

We stayed at Banana Beach and liked it. We did the same thing as your friends-did the pool/class work in CO and the OW dives in Belize. Although I have dove at that hotsprings place in UT some of the CO shops use in the winter--it's actually a neat place to do your OW cert. since the water is 95 degrees and crystal clear! If you haven't dove since 1999, I highly recommend you do a refresher through your LDS before you go--you can forget a lot in one year, much less 8 years! You will get much more out of your Advanced Class that way. The Blue Hole really isn't for new divers. It is a deep dive that 'feels' like a deep dive. Some dives you can go to 130 and it doesn' t seem that deep, with the blue hole, it's darker and murkier (not really murky, but viz is more like 30-50') If someone panicks or has an incident, you are very far away from from medical help. I saw 1 bull shark and some groupers and that was it. I saw many more nurse sharks diving around ambergris. Belize is a super-easy country to get around and there are no language issues, so it makes a great first international trip. If you have a chance to go inland, definitely do so. We have been twice, for 2 weeks each time and would go back in a heartbeat. Have fun!

If you want a good fly fishing guide, call Roberto Bradley at 226 2116. He grew up there, is a very nice man and knows how to fish. Call ahead though. He's good and is booked in advance. Hank

Back
Top Bottom