Yet another Hog thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving HOG regs since 2008. D1s, D2s, D3s, BP2s, and all the Edge regs. Have had them down to 165ft in 38 degree water. 45 is balmy deeper in the Great Lakes. Have had them under the ice and inside wrecks. Customers have had them down to 300ft and back thousands in caves.
I'm also a HOG and Deep Six reg tech instructor and have issued over 50 certs to divers to service them.
I wrote the Deep Six service manual and have written some of the HOG service procedures.
Between the two, they are very close.
Deep Six may have a slight edge on the 1st stage in terms of finish and maybe the internals but not enough to be noticeable to me. If a reg is tuned right it really doesn't matter where it's from. The average recreational and most tech divers would be hard pressed to tell the difference blind folded.
HOG may be easier to source parts and kits.
I service HOG regs from around the world. Literally. I have customers in the military in Okinawa, Guam, Germany, and even got a sent a set once from Afghanistan that I had to return to his next posting in Japan.
Not to mention the dozens in Florida, California, New York, etc. in the states.
For cold water diving I would not recommend a D3/Zenith. I don't like the Zenith faceplate for use with heavy or dry gloves. The classic is a better choice in my opinion and easier to use with gloves.
If you are not diving sidemount there is no need to go with the D3. D3 was designed to be used with sidemount because of the turret being able to swivel 360 degrees with hoses.
For backmount singles or doubles the D1x is a better choice and will save you a few bucks. The D1 is a workhorse with a proven track record longer than the Zenith or the Deep Six 1st stage.
If I were selling you the set, I'd recommend a D1x with a pair of Classic seconds for single tank back mount. Rubber hoses and a 2 inch SPG on a 24 in rubber HP hose.
And you'll pay less than for a Zenith or a Deep Six set.

Isn't the D2 discontinued? Not shown on their page. It was a non-swiveling version IIRC...

I have 7 D1s SS, 5 D2s SS, 7 D1 FS, and 3 D2 FS. Most of not all are 10 years old and never had issues with them. Some were not serviced for 5 years and worked relatively fine but needed some love. @Jim Lapenta has serviced all most all of my Hogs and they are spot on wonderful in all ventures.

I really need to take the class but...

@Jim Lapenta Good info above. How does the D2 compare with the D1?
The D2 is only available in DIN. It can be converted but that adds like $50 to the price. I use D2s on my stage/deco bottles. For a simple single tank reg it's a good choice. It doesn't have the swivel so that puts it into the same category as other non swivel turret regs.
If you decide to go to doubles or sidemount, it's not going to be ideal in terms of hose routing for either. But you will have your deco bottle covered.
The D2 is as reliable as any other HOG reg and there are thousands of them in use as primary, stage, pony, and deco regs in the HOG version and what used to be the Edge Epic. (same reg, different finish).

Isn't the D2 discontinued? Not shown on their page. It was a non-swiveling version IIRC...
Can still get them. DIN only and they don't promote it as part of a package. It did go away for a while when they were figuring out the product line at one point but certain people ;=) made a case to have them for stage/deco bottle use.

Can still get them. DIN only and they don't promote it as part of a package. It did go away for a while when they were figuring out the product line at one point but certain people ;=) made a case to have them for stage/deco bottle use.

Interesting marketing...

Not here:

But with a specific google search for "HOG D2" it is here:

Interesting marketing...

Not here:

But with a specific google search for "HOG D2" it is here:

I know. Updating the website and making sure everything lines up has been spotty at times. I only show the DIN version on my new price list. And the conversion kit is the same for the D2 din to yoke as the D3 Din to yoke conversion.

I know. Updating the website and making sure everything lines up has been spotty at times. I only show the DIN version on my new price list. And the conversion kit is the same for the D2 din to yoke as the D3 Din to yoke conversion.
Ok, that begs the question - is it the same kit for a D1 too? ( I have a D3 Yoke kit and was going to put it on one of my D3's for an upcoming Blackbeards trip, but I might reconsider and use a D1 instead if I can) TIA

Ok, that begs the question - is it the same kit for a D1 too? ( I have a D3 Yoke kit and was going to put it on one of my D3's for an upcoming Blackbeards trip, but I might reconsider and use a D1 instead if I can) TIA
No. D3/d2 yoke kit is different than the d1.

Back
Top Bottom