Yet another UK newbie (must be the season)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulG

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to stop by and introduce myself as a new member.

My wife (Karen) and myself have just completed the Theory and C/W sessions of the PADI O/W course in preparation for a trip to Paphos, Cyprus in early Sep to complete the referral course.

Neither of us had really considered scuba until we were on holiday last Sep (in Sep) and got talked into a try dive with the hotel dive school (should have stayed sunbathing, it's a lot cheaper!!, but then nowhere near as much fun!!).

After a session in the pool, we were taken off for a shallow shore dive. Needless to say, the experience was not without traumas, I think Karen shot to the surface 3 times and I managed it twice.

We finished the dive, annoyed with ourselves rather than put off diving as non of the airside trips were really founded. In fact, we were so annoyed, we booked another try dive for later in the week. Fortunately, the instructors were excellent and lent us masks/snorkels/fins and suggested we spend the next couple of days snorkelling in the pool/sea to get used to it.

The next try dive was MUCH better and we were hooked. It has taken us a while to get around to doing the course but mainly as I was determined that we would do the O/W dives somewhere warmer and therefore we had until now as the holiday is Sep and thought it better to do the rest as close to the trip as possible.

I have spent the last few days browsing through the board since finding it and am impressed with the level of help and expertise that is available through the members.

I will try to avoid stupid questions where possible and apologise in advance should I post one in the future.

Anyway, enough for now, pleased to meet you all.

Paul

A hot and humid welcome to the Board Paul, from Margate in Kent.

Like you I slipped into scuba whilst on holiday. It was raining one day, and a poolside sign tempted me. Now my wallet is paying the price - But life is better for it! :wink:

>>I will try to avoid stupid questions where possible and apologise in advance should I post one in the future.<<
There are no stupid questions in the honest search for answers... so fire away. And often others may share your question, but haven't asked it yet.

Please check out the new .UK section. It would be great to see you at some of our planned dives/meets etc.
:snorkel:

It's certainly an easy habit to fall into when somewhere sunny on holiday. Good luck with the OW sessions in September.

Also see from your profile that you're a biker. What bike? Do you want to buy a Harley I have for sale?

Regards

Sorry Welshman, purely a sportsbike fan at present (although the older I get, the more attractive a Harley sounds)

Just bought the new CBR959RR2 (Fireblade), finsished running it in and ready to give it some stick.

Curiously enough, will be in your neck of the woods this weekend, got a free weekend at a hotel just outside Kidderminster.

Thanks for the reply

PaulG

I thought a Harley would be a good idea having been banned for speeding on my VFR but it's too old, slow and bad handling for me. So I went out and bought a ZZR 1200 about 7 weeks ago. I've done twice as many miles in the last 7 weeks on the ZZR as I did in 3 years on the Harley.

Fireblade is a great bike. Glad you're enjoying it.

Talking about training I went out with Rapidtraining last weekend for a day ( www.rapidtraining.co.uk ) who are all either serving or former Police Class 1 licence holders - just outstanding. Well worth a look on their website.

We live about 5 miles West of Kidderminster so hope you enjoy the countryside this weekend - if you need any tips let me know.

regards

Welcome PaulG & Karen

Where you doing your training? I did my O/W in Surrey too, well OK it was Croydon still counts though!

Have fun
Jonathan

Welcome from the warm waters of Asia! And yes, Shaun's right, no question is a stupid question. It's better to have a question than no question at all and not knowing. There's tons of us who share or shared your experiences, so do feel free.

Good luck with OW. It's going to be a blast! Dive safe.

Jonathan, theory took place in LDS in Kingston with pool work in Putney (we did the C/W in evening sessions rather than devote a whole weekend to the course)

surely not the pool on the Upper Richmond Rd - I used to have swimming classes there 30 years ago....

Let me guess - Wraysbury then for the open water.....

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom