Yet another which 1st strobe for my digital point and shoot camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lwang, I am very much a beginner to underwater photos. I use a C5050 in an Olympus housing. I added an Inon D-2000 strobe last fall. The Inon S-2000 would probably perform almost as well as the D-2000, and the S-2000 is much smaller if you are concerned with bulk. Both of these Inon strobes will work with the C-5050 using a fiber optic cable to fire the strobe. The camera's internal flash transmits light through a fiber optic cable to the Inon strobe. The Inon strobe mimics the flash duration of the camera's internal flash. You will set the camera internal flash to slow 1 and internal + external flash.

The easiest method of using the Inon strobe is using it in STTL mode. You set the strobe to STTL Low, set EV compensation to A, B or C, and take pictures. If your photos is over or under exposed you adjust the EV compensation dial + or _. You can also use the strobe in manual mode if you prefer, and manually match the strobes EV dial to the aperture F-stop you have the camera set at. I shoot with the camera in manual mode.

The Inon user manual was not easy for me to comprehend, but that is partially due to my lack of experience and partially due to poor Japanese to English translation. The YS-01 is a great strobe too. It was highly recommended by many knowledgeable photo enthusiasts when I was in the decision making stage before I purchased my Inon. I have no regrets with the Inon so far, but I'm sure the YS-01 would have been fine too.

thanks SEMO. When I got the C5050, I was wondering why they didn't just make optical TTL like they have it on topside strobes which operated by cable. It must have been a challenge because it didn't come out until like 5yrs later.

Anyway, the S-2000 and YS-01 seems to be the favorites, with maybe the YS-01 getting a slight nod due to its modeling light. If the S-2000's TTL mode is more advanced, then maybe that could come into consideration (maybe one has better no cord TTL performance?)

thanks SEMO. When I got the C5050, I was wondering why they didn't just make optical TTL like they have it on topside strobes which operated by cable. It must have been a challenge because it didn't come out until like 5yrs later.
QUOTE]
There was a product that delivered true ttl ..ikelite housing connects to ikelite sigital strobes via a sync cable.I still use one and it never fails me..reason I purchased a 5050 is because of hot shoe on camera..I previously used nikonos 2 and 5 cameras with ike strobes that deliverd ttl.

Do you know who makes the adapters for the Inons to fit my ikelite arms? Some UW photo sellers like Oceanic Focus doesn't know of any.

We need more information on what type of Ikelite arms you have to know what type of connections they work with. Please provide photos.

We also need to know what country you are in as it doesn't do any good telling you where to look if they are not accessible.

That system doesn't leave a lot to work with. You will likely have to convert it to a 1" ball system (Part B) and work from there up to an Inon to Ball Mount Adapter

Best suggestion is to talk directly to one of the big boys (B&H Photo, Reef Photo, Optical Ocean Sales, etc.) about this to get the most economical solution.

Yeah, I am in NY so I went to LP, but they don't have seem to have a giant camera dept (knowledgeable staff, but everything is in warehouse). Maybe I will pass by B&H given it is a huge store with a dept for everything.

Back
Top Bottom