Yipe! My significant buddy's dad just invited himself along!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just help the guy out as much as possible. If they guy goes through his tank in 30 min, so be it. Make the best of the dive. You have many dive ahead of you without the dad. Make this a relationship building dive. I was on the same boat a few years back and now my wife's father and I are best of friends because of that. Enjoy the dive.

Hehe, before you get any ideas, Rachel and I are most certainly not meant for each other. We're more or less brother and sister, and if we spent too much time together we'd kill each other in short order, to be sure. J. and I are complementary, which is a wonderful thing, indeed. Rachel and I, on the other hand, are *far* too alike, and with our personalities, that would not be a good deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyone who knows me can vouch that spending my time and effort (and sometimes $46.55 postage) to help anyone is just what I do. Obviously, I want to extend our dives and not have to deal with a partially remedial diver, but helping him out is hardly negligible to me. If I can get him to properly weighted and trimmed form (and maybe help his air consumption rate in the process), I'll be happy. (If he takes to the horizontal and everything else well enough that he's actually an asset, that's lagniappe.)

Incidentally, Walt, you make a good point. It'll be interesting to see how much more he enjoys diving with everything in proper order. (I know that after I helped Rachel work out her trim, she said it made the dives ***much*** better for her, but I suppose I forgot about that effect.)

(Note: The $46.55 postage was what it cost to send a box weighing 6 pounds, 3.8 ounces, from Baton Rouge to Japan via Global Express Mail. The four-dozen 4" diameter homemade (my personal recipe) white chocolate macadamia cookies were possibly the best idea for a birthday present for J. that I've ever executed.)

Rachel just called to work out a few details. Apparently, she's already told him that we're going to fix his weighting, trim, etc. That takes care of the psychological aspect. :D

Freak Dad out....go Warf.

Hehe. Actually, I'm more of a Minbari than any Trek species, but my significant buddy J. is Vulcan. (She even has the "Everything I ever needed to know I learned from Star Trek" T-shirt with Spock on the front.)

I know it appears this situation has worked itself out, but one thing that's worked for me with people that need a little work is the casual, "hey, on that last dive I noticed X. When I was in that situation I tried Y and it worked for me. Are you interested in giving it a shot?"

It puts the whole situation in less of a mentor role and more in a friendly just-tryin-to-help-a-brutha-out mode.

As usual, YMMV.

Rachel (but not the one whose virtues have been extolled in this thread)

Sounds like a plan is coming together. If things are as they sound and you end up with J for the long haul this won't be the last tag along event so you might as well invest in leveling the playing field, especially while Rachel is willing to be the heavy to some extent.

When it's time for the honeymoon on Bonaire you will need to put your fin down. :)

Biscuit 7 is right, the "what's worked well for me" approach puts it all in a logical progression and lets the diver being mentored realize that they are not the only person to have faced a challenge.

Pete

scubajay:
Just help the guy out as much as possible. If they guy goes through his tank in 30 min, so be it. Make the best of the dive. You have many dive ahead of you without the dad. Make this a relationship building dive. I was on the same boat a few years back and now my wife's father and I are best of friends because of that. Enjoy the dive.

I agree, just have fun and make the best of it. He may have a skill you aren't as up on where he helps you one day.

Naw...time to come on pure BORG...

Hehe... let's see...

He has a boat... check.
He's J.'s dad... check.

Yep, sounds like I'd better give him a hand, alright. :wink:

(Incidentally, Rachel's guess is that he might make two dives or possibly three, but odds that he'll make four dives are in the statistically insignificant column, by our estimations.)

As far as a skill that he could help me with someday, where do you think I learned about air conditioners, cars, ovens, stoves, icemakers, etc, etc. Put the two of us together, and there are very few things we can't work out. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom