YMCA courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was under the impression that the YMCA cert had a couple minor requirements more than PADI, although I don't know how much of what we did was specific to "Y" besides the swim test and the skin dives.

A matter of opinion, but the differences I see I consider major differences.

NWGratefulDiver:
That happened to me in Maui ... one charter op would not accept any non-PADI card. We laughed all the way across the street, where the guy's competitor happily took us diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good grief, it's true? LOL

Please please post the name of the dive op. When I'm on maui in a couple of weeks 10 friends are going with me. Wouldn't it be fun to walk in there with a complete boat load of people only to get turned away?

I also have a padi card but they won't know that :)

Al Mialkovsky:
Good grief, it's true? LOL

Please please post the name of the dive op. When I'm on maui in a couple of weeks 10 friends are going with me. Wouldn't it be fun to walk in there with a complete boat load of people only to get turned away?

I also have a padi card but they won't know that :)

PM sent ... I don't recall the exact name of the shop, but I may have given you enough info to find out.

FWIW - if you're gonna be in Kihei, I recommend B&B Scuba. We dived with them and Scuba Shack, and although the latter was quite good, we had a better time with B&B.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob we dive with B&B again and again when we're there. We love Brad and Blesi and we are very anxious to see them again :)

knotical:
From a 1999 Dive Training magazine article:
1951, Scripps Institution organized the first civilian diving course in the US, for scientific divers.
1954, LA County developed the first recreational diver training program.
1959, YMCA offered the first nation-wide program.
1960, NAUI
1961, NASDS
1966, PADI
etc.
Too bad the article didn’t discuss training agencies in other countries.

Thanks for the accurate info.
Al Tillman is known as the father of recreational scuba diving
in the USA. He founded both the 1st Los Angeles Underwater Instructors
Certification Course (1LAUICC) and NAUI.(http://www.lascuba.com/tillman.html)

His signature is on my 1966 NAUI certificate I got in Florida.
The guy was "Saint Scuba" in my book. (Cousteau was a tad higher)
NAUI is, in reality, a "Califlorida" (both states) operation.(Los Angeles/Tampa)(formerly Ft. Lauderdale)
PADI was founded by NAUI instructors.

MY LDS four blocks away is owned by a NAUI instructor and managed by
a PADI instructor. They're both great guys! Know 'em both. We're down by
the University of Texas at Austin campus. (Jenna Bush school.)
Lots of divers have various certs from BOTH NAUI and PADI!!!!

The PADI instructor said, to me, six months ago, and I quote:

"NAUI's in all the universities/PADI's in all the resorts....otherwise....same course"

I agree

Here in UT town we have thousands of NAUI/PADI/NAUI-PADI combo divers.

NO ONE has the right to "dis" PADI...........except NAUI!(it's a frat type of thing)

And should you decide on PADI, always remember: "PayAlotDiveImmediately"
(I couldn't resist, sorry.)

Universal scuba truth: "The best scuba course is the one I took"

BTW, please be on the lookout for the fantastic new NAPUDI course.
(National Association of Professional Underwater Diving Instructors)
I'm gonna start it on my kitchen table next month, I think, well, maybe..
Well everybody else is starting a dive course!

Cheers

"NAUI's in all the universities/PADI's in all the resorts....otherwise....same course"

They are very different courses and you'll find both in universities and both in resorts as well as other courses.

lord1234:
The local YMCA has a certification course...has anyone ever taken one of these? Is it worth it?

--Lord1234

I seem to recall being told sometime about thirty years ago that the Y course never got really popular because it was offensive to non-christian and women's groups.

as long as they don't teach me to cross myself when going in the water..i don't care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom