You might be a swamp diver if?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A nod to KLantz (Kenny):

You decide to bring your OW students to a 20' deep mudhole just inside the TX border instead of making them dive in a similar mudhole in Louisiana - all so they can call themselves Texas Swamp Divers. :wink:

You're a Texas Swamp Diver if:

You started diving five years before you were certified.

You first dived Cozumel in 1976.

You are on a first name basis with Don Dibble, John Duggan, Arthur Melvin or Peter Oliver.

You know that Copeland's in Corpus is the oldest dive shop in Texas, but you've never entered the shop.

You've come face-to-face with a 64 pound catfish.

You know just how lonnnnng that drive back to Austin from Freeport is.

During a Texas Summer drought, you took a trip to Arkansas to dive in a "crystal clear quarry" that a fellow diver recommended. You only did that once.

You're scared to DEATH of ski boats.

Get up at 5 am to drive the 200 miles to Travis with your expensive gas mixes just to crawl around in the mud because you can't see the bottom, then you try to pack up fast to get out before it gets too hot, drive the 200 miles back then hose all the mud off your gear. Call it a good dive then plan the next time your going to crawl through mud again.

Too many times I've been going along looking for the bottom and I find it when I dig into it, I have been known to do a hand over hand walk on the bottom in portions of travis just so I know where the bottom is.

But for some reason I keep going back

You run head first into your dive buddy, but consider it a tribute to your dive Buddy and yours great nav. skills.

You drive hundreds of miles to dive on a site, not knowing what the vis will be like.

Or not caring what the vis is like. :wink:

Driving to Possum Kingdom- 1.5hours
Diving off a bass boating- no giant step entry required…
Recovering an Aluminum boat deck chair and heavy mushroom anchor in the same dive- Priceless.

You know you’re a Texas diver when you have been diving the same section of coastline and sand bar with no visibility for four years.
Then they pull out a 500lb bull shark; OH… that’s what’s been bumping me on those dives.
UnderwaterTimes | Angler Pulls In Texas State Record Bull Shark: 512 Pounds, 9 Feet Long
You feel bad for the Bull Shark.

You know you’re a Texas diver when its 110 degrees outside and you have to put on your drysuit to take your advanced student to tin silo at 60ft in Clear Springs.
They should call it chilly springs!

You remember a time when all open water certification was done at Lake Travis- circa 1990.

You know you married to a Texas Diver when-
Your son gives the ‘shark’ sign in Cozumel and your wife takes off after the shark!
You son is in shock that she left him and you about drown from laughing so hard that your regulator falls out!

You know you’re a Texas Diver when you are diving Hi389A and a turtle tries to munch on what little orange hair you have left.
Clearly thinking it’s something else. Attempted scalping from a turtle- only in Texas waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom