You thought the "elevator BC" is a useless piece of crap? Check out this "advance"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Its a science project, it will never see an LDS.

In the early 1990s we built a "stay where you are" system for an ROV. We played for a while with the buoyancy control system in a self contained mode attached to a diver's tank. It was an interesting experiment and worked rather well. But ... it was a pain in the butt for diving. It was easier to just control your buoyancy the normal way than to use the push on/push off control and then surrender to it's rather slow adjustment cycle while staying within its operational window.

Nice to know that General Powell agrees with you.

Cool! With a device like that maybe my bouyancy will finally be good enough to cave dive!

Oh, wait...

It's really not a bad idea on first impression. Every recently-certified engineer I've ever met has toyed with the notion of inventing this, to the point where I was surprised that this was the first time some actually did!

How would it acommodate for the individual's breathing cycles and habits?

the K

That was the real problem. The input was pressure (depth) and had to be buffered so that it did not keep seeking. Buoyancy and it's changes with respect to depth is a positive feedback loop, with the overlay of changes in buoyancy as a result of breathing ... well ... its a problem that we did not find a good solution for.

Bet it didn't have a "Holy ****!!! There's a Great White !!!!!" mode, either . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom