Your images, where?

Please read the first post in the thread.....it's a long question.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna,

I mostly agree with your premise of people's opinions don't need court room proof. One type LOVES split fins, one type doesn't :)

So I hear you on any "rules" (man, do I HATE rules !!!! :) and I don't think Kim was asking for some formalized doo-dah to be implemented (if I'm speaking incorrectly Kim, I'm sure you'll correct me :)

But photos? Come on....I believe ANYONE can tell what's crap, and what's not.....Judging fine lines of composition, lighting, shadows or "mood"? Yeah, that's open to personal interpretation....

I think Pakman and fisheyeview have it right. Turn on the funny factor versus endless measurbating and arguing.......You guys keep me entertained here!!!

f3nikon has his opinion, and that's fine......So do others and that's fine.....

Don't know about you, but I'm headed to Grand Cayman Dec. 1-8 to get some warm salty water all over my gear!

Which is what I think about most :)

Later,

dhaas

P.S. - A final comment, NOT meant to stir the pot but alog the lines from another recent active thread......

I'd sure like to know what mask f3nikon uses that places his eye 3 inches from a magnifier built into virtually all dSLR housings, including my Ikelite Rebel XTi housing. I use an Atomic Sub Frame two window mask, with Rx lenses and can see the viewfnder fine for composing. So good that practically no cropping is needed (if any) in post processing.

Just one guy's opinion as usual LOL........

That I'll do.
Good grief!!!!!!!!

You DO realize I'm a 56 year old BLOKE right?????????

Please..........no one is asking you!!!!!! :rofl3:

Actually, there are quite a lot more examples other than that thread. This issue has been forth coming for a long time. In fact, I have been one to ask for evidence as well. I started out U/W photography a few years ago and a lot of help along the way came from SB. However, if I were to listen to certain parties in SB then, I would have made a lot of mistakes (financially and frustration) because the information given was flawed (either through ignorance or inexperience). What Kim is trying to do here is to ensure that people seeking information and help here get it , and not some opinions which have no base in fact or experience. I, for one, am absolutely for it. It will improve the forum immensely. Seeker of help would not have to sift to so much rubbish.

I find this poll to be a bit ridiculous (and yes, I'm going to vote "no" as soon as I finish this e-mail). I've been reading (and posting occasionally) to this forum for a couple of year, so I've seen plenty of opinionated people.

Let's remember that we are talking about photography here. This isn't some kind of life and death topic. If somebody says something ignorant and somebody else follows those instructions, there is little consquence. If somebody buys a new dSLR or PnS camera based on just one persons vociferous postings, then it goes back to that old saying about a fool and his money being quickly parted.

The forum is generally self-regulating. There is usually a counter argument made for each out-there idea. Anybody is free at any time to ask for a poster to cite sources or post examples. This can't really be forced, if somebody doesn't want to comply. As far as f3Nikon goes, I've never seen any of his work, so I give his posts limited worth. I probably have learned a few useful things from his posts, once the BS is sorted out.

Lets skip the rules and let the free market decide the worth of an individual poster.

David

I voted "no" because I just don't care that much. I can usually tell by someone's posts whether or not they're a poser. I suppose for new photographers it might help. Fortunately the better UW photographers like Alcina, Warren, Dave Haas and others are pretty quick to help out the new posters and they have plenty of great images to look at and great advice to listen to. They've all helped me tremendously whether they know it or not.

I became a photographer because it's fun and I wanted to find a way making a living having fun. I think most people are hear because UW photography is challenging and FUN. Nobody has to shoot UW photos. There are other things to do. But if we're all here to have fun let's try to keep it that way. My 2 cents.

Agreed. But at what point should it be possible to ask a burden of proof, or at least example?
Is it OK for anyone to blindly push their unsubstantiated in any way view point forward, in post after post, in the face of many other real world posts from members that know that that view point is simply wrong?

Is this really what you think?

Actually it is. If someone is posting nonsense. there are many people here that will jump all over them. Of that, there is no doubt whatsoever. See what happened to F3 previously. The board is remarkably well self-regulated. Example: Some people think that a SpareAir is cool. Try starting that thread...(Hint - Buy Kevlar undergarments). Similarllarly, I do not need to see evidence if some medical practitioner tells us that candling is good for ear injuries.

The beauty of this board is that it provides a free exchange of ideas and thoughts between ALL those that want to contribute and listen. We do not need evidence of someone's experience or lack thereof. People's posts speak volumes and do not need verification by anyone else to establish faux credibility.

This is one of those ideas that is good in theory and intuitively sounds right, but just isn't practical in real life.

We're all big boys and girls and can decide for ourselves who's advice we listen to.

What it really comes down to is this... what are we going to do if someone offers an opinion but chooses not to back it up online? Ignore them MORE?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom