Your Most Innocuous, Yet Memorable Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago, late in the summer, we got a call about a child that had been dangled over the side of a bridge, and possibly dropped. We got into the water right at dusk. I was the first one in the water, which was about neck deep. As I was backing away from the boat, I was bumped by something (hip area) large and strong enough to almost knock me off my feet. Never saw what it was, but I'm guessing a 3-4' bull shark. I was wearing a vulcanized rubber dry suit.

Anyway, there was a lot of phosphorus in the water that night, and the water was pitch black under the bridge. Every single exhale caused an amazingly bright and vivid explosion of green, like fireworks. It was probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. While looking for a drowned kid. I'll never forget that feeling.

Never found a kid, never had a report of a missing kid. Really odd, the witness seemed very reliable.

I've done a few dives in some 'bucket list' destinations seen a few rarities large and small but -

I was a buddy for a gentleman on his last two OW check out dives in a very bland spot in Thailand. Being a solo traveller I'm used to getting buddies with "random" but this guy was special. A 72 year old retiree who had saved spare change all his life and kept a dream alive all through a working class mans grind in central Canada. Inspired by Cousteau and Sea Hunt etc he learnt to swim a year prior to going to Thailand, had gotten great advice from his doctor, terrible advice from his adult children who declared his desire to travel halfway round the world to scuba dive "ridiculous". The joy and wonder in his eyes was the most rewarding experience...i would've normally been bored sh*tless diving there but he needed a buddy and I had a week before going to Richelieu so..I became his buddy.

Not sure if he ever dived again after he left Thailand ..but sometimes..it isn't all about you. If you're out there old Bill - hope you're still having fun mate.
Can I dive with you....pretty please?

Hehe Sure Admikar - any time. Really, when ever I find myself getting all oooh is my trim right, tut tut she's sculling with her hands or worrying what other divers think of me I remember Bill's eyes - that's why we dive isn't it? Here's to not letting the wonder ever become lost - now, shall we dive the Macocha Abyss? Over your neck of the woods, looks fun, meet me there in October :) thank you,

I think it was my fourth or fifth actual open water dive. I came between these two huge coral formations that had a sandy bottom about 5 feet wide between them. It had been stormy the first two or three dives and murky but the sun came out and the wind died down. The water was crystal clear vis was at least 60 feet.

Bear in mind I certified in the Puget Sound on a a 24 degree morning vis was 3 feet we held hands getting to the bottom for our last test before the free dive at the end of certs.

This particular dive had been great best dive to date right pretty easy to top my certification and three dives in crappy weather. As I came out of the coral the reef just ended and opened up into a deep channel and I looked outwards into a dark blue sea. Thinking this was for sure amazing and how glad I was here. And just as that moment occured a huge school of fish swam at full speed almost hit me and made an immediate turn and then a 6 or 7 foot reef shark almost crashed into me chasing them he turned just short of me and resumed chase of the school. I remember coming up from that dive feeling euphoric. Up top the sun was now out temp was hitting about 80 and the surface water was warming fast.

Im a little over 100 dives today I have a lot of great dives in my memory bank but this dive is always there at the top of the list.

Black Pebble Beach, Big Island, HI. My wife and I heard that it was a good site from some folks at Jack's Diving Locker and drove out to scout the access, parking etc. We'd rented a few tanks because the shop wasn't going to be open on Christmas day for some reason.

Christmas day we showed up at the beach and watched the waves for a while to get a feel for how to plan our entry. I'd spent quite a bit of time shore diving on Oahu when I lived there but this was Mary's first surf entry/exit. She had a few issues but got it done. We cruised around looking at the fish and the geology and made it out to the crack in the wall. On the way back we drifted a bit too far to the right of our planned route and ended up at the top of a rock pinnacle in some pretty serious surge. I'd done the surge thing before more than a few times but I was concerned how she'd react. As it turns out she did a stellar job and stayed calm the whole time. We did our safety stop right there at 15 feet being shoved around between the lava formations. The exit went smoothly but the waves were coming up due to the afternoon breeze so our second dive at the site was postponed until Boxing day. Those two dives increased Mary's diving confidence quite a bit and I guess that's what made it memorable.

We also did another shore dive at the Crescent Beach at the mouth of Honokohau Harbor that ended up being pretty memorable. Near the end of the dive in 35 FSW a 10 foot long tiger shark swam past us about 20 feet away. That dive won't be forgotten any time soon.

Acid lake. 70 km to the East from Moscow (RF)
It is old phosphor ore open-pit mine.
Nature there is like in between volcano and sands and forests.
Wather pH is really around 4 (acid). All my regs became very very clean, no chalk varnish.
p-2415.jpg

Just some photos and video from there :)
"Здесь можно снимать фильмы ужасов": Подводный форум больных дайвингом. - some more information (use google translator)
i-2356.jpg

p-2356.jpg p-2357.jpg p-2375.jpg p-2376.jpg p-2377.jpg p-2378.jpg

p-2403.jpg p-2404.jpg p-2401.jpg p-2402.jpg p-2398.jpg

Me
487387c0a2c0a93080ee88fccd9e74f1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom