Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Of course, they should refund you

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Credit for future trip only

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yah, I'm in the camp of, "oh well, crap happens".

It may or may not be avoidable, but suck it up man. The captain didn't want you to be sick. He wanted you to have a good time. The owner's are supposed to pay you because you didn't have a good time?

Sometimes, not everything is perfect. I once got a sinus infection just before 7 days of underwater dives for my Full Cave Instructor rating. I paid for my class. I showed up every single day and tried to clear my ears, but never could. Should I have asked my IT to give me back my cash because I wasn't able to dive? Of course not. I'd have felt like a fool for even thinking it.

There is a difference between getting sick before showing up, or getting sick out of the blue, and showing up healthy but getting sick after being exposed to sick crew members.

Preschools and schools often send kids home that show up sick in order to protect the other students. When working in an office I have seen employees asked to go home when they showed up sick. As a coach I have sent people home from practice when they were sick.

Operating short handed or having to pay for a hotel room for a sick crewman or two would really suck, but wouldn't that be preferable to spreading the sickness? If it was one crewman and you could isolate him in his room until he got well it wouldnt be so bad but from what the OP said it was more than one crewmember and they continued to work and have contact with other crew and guests. Since it was more than one crew member I have to assume it was something that was communicable. If you knowling expose customers to a communicable disease, well that simply isnt good practice, is it??

Bad practice indeed, and who pays for the cancelled trip when everyone is standing on the dock. I assure you, every time we've had a briefing when we have a sick crewmember we tell everyone before they board. We line out our procedures of having a package of chlorox wipes on every counter, emphasize hand washing and give the passengers the option to not go on the trip. We've never had anyone take the offer to stay home, so the argument is invalid. Everyone wants consideration afterwards, but passengers don't want to take the chance of staying home before a trip, knowing that they aren't the one who will get sick.

Look, we could argue this until we're blue in the face. You think the operator should take it in the shorts. I think the customer who is sick who gets the crew and other passengers sick should be responsible and stay home. I've seen it more than once, no one is going to stand on the dock and not get on the boat because we don't mean them. We meant everyone else. This argument will just lead to bad feelings.

If presented with this delimna, I would neither offer a refund nor a voucher for future travel. I would suggest that the personal hygiene of many passengers could be a lot better. I have not had a cold in about 5 years. I don't think anyone who has been on a boat with me would argue that you'd be hard pressed to find a germ here. We wipe down the common areas 4 or 5 times a day.

If, on the 3rd day, everyone who ate the cole slaw got sick with food poisoning symptoms then there is probably cause for compensation. In this case it just is not that clear. Did the OP contract an illness from the sick crew members? Possibly. Did the other passengers contract an illness from crew members or from the OP? Hard to tell.

Flu incubation period is 1 to 4 days. Flu contagion threat is 1 day before symptoms until a week after.

Seems to me it is one of the risks you must consider with travel in general and specifically with the environment of a liveaboard.

Wookie I don't know that we are talking about your operation, are we? If not, we don't know if the operation in question took the precautions you do, or gave the speech before boarding that you are talking about. For all I know the precautions you are talking about would have prevented this happening. Certainly if the OP here was advised of the situation before getting on board he now has no leg to stand on.

Snip....complaints about the ship or crew or such, the problem started when we boarded. The dives guides were sick with some kind of flu/cold....snip

Wookie I don't know that we are talking about your operation, are we? If not, we don't know if the operation in question took the precautions you do, or gave the speech before boarding that you are talking about. For all I know the precautions you are talking about would have prevented this happening. Certainly if the OP here was advised of the situation before getting on board he now has no leg to stand on.

Nope, I assume he was on a GBR liveaboard. He does state that the problems started at boarding. I don't know if any kind of "the crew was sick" briefing was offered, nor do I know if some kind of alternative travel date was suggested by the operator. I only know that within the strict guidelines of almost any liveaboard, had he chosen to stay home, he would not been offered anything compensatory for the voyage, and certainly not for travel to/from the liveaboard. But he might have avoided becoming sick himself.

Preschools and schools often send kids home that show up sick in order to protect the other students.

That's just it, society still thinks they should be treated like they're in preschool. But! This just in.... YOU'RE NOT A BABY ANYMORE. Start acting like it.

I analogize a liveaboard to other forms of transportation and accommodation. I don't think there is any implicit guarantee that personnel who come into contact with you will not be contagious. For example, I suspect flight attendants come in to work when they're sick and perhaps contagious, and we all know it and take the risk. It's been my experience that on about one out of ten flights I do catch a cold. Like others, I have had entire vacations ruined from catching some nasty bug on a flight overseas. We know the risks and are willing to take them.

Maybe but I have been flying quite a bit the last few years and I dont recall ever encountering any flight attendants, or any other airline employees for that matter, that appeared to be ill.

Acting like an adult could be seen as including not intentionally exposing others to your illness if you could possibly be contagious or exposing your customers to an employee that is contagious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom