YS-01 and XZ-1 compatibility issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I found on Sea&Sea website that YS-01 DS-TTL is compatible with XZ-1 with some conditions and seems there's firmware update. So I bought a YS-01 and contact the local dealer in my place (Hong Kong). They said they know nothing on this. I'm very confused by their response. How is the firmware actually improve the DS-TTL problem? Does someone's YS-01 DS-TTL function works fine with your XZ-1? I do really hope that I can configure it to work with my XZ-1.

Thanks.

I'm wondering about this to as I own a YS-110a and have just ordered a OLY XZ-1 with PT-050 housing.

According to this thread, it's impossible to use TTL.

But according to the Sea & Sea compatibility chart, it's possible with a firmware update.

What to believe?

/Martin

Sea and Sea does not appear to have responded to this question. Plus I sent an email to Sea and Sea from their website last week and have not heard back. Can someone from Sea and Sea please respond? I bought the YS01 strobe because it was SUPPOSED to work in TTL with the XZ1. The distributor now says it does not, pretty much confirming my frustrating experiences with this set up. If this isn't resolve to my satisfaction (and using everything in "manual" is NOT satisfactory) I guess I will be moving to an Inon product. but I would really like to make this work. I am shooting in Cozumel where there is often a lot of current and I wanted the TTL option to make things just a bit easier since there isn't a lot of time to hang about in the same spot trying out different things. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just to close the loop on this and for the sake of future readers. I heard back from Sea and Sea on my email request. They said they could make my strobe TTL compatible with the XZ1 if I send it to them in California and pay a $150 service fee as it would not be covered under warranty (although they sent me warranty forms to complete, should I wish to proceed). The problem is that the servicing does not ADD the capability...it makes it incompatible with any other cameras and you need to repeat the procedure and pay the $150 price again if you want to revert capability for another camera. Unfortunately, at the time I purchased, NONE of this information was on the website when I checked compatibility.

Back
Top Bottom