YS-01 or YS-D1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My current setup is a T2I w/ S&S RDX550 with 1 YS-01 and a I-Torch video pro focus light. I want to add a second strobe and looking at either the 01 or the D1. Should I get the 01 and save the money on the D1 or just pony up and get the D1? I am a newbie at photo and still learning on how to use just 1 strobe so this is going to even more of a challenge.

If you're still learning to control one.... why buy a second? Use the money to dive and take photos!

Get the D1. When you get around to wide angle, you'll be happy to have twice the power and a greater range of control. It's also about the same size. I bought one this morning.

Go with the D1! Reality is cameras come and go but we tend to keep lighting from set-up to set-up. The D1 will be an excellent strobe for a long time. While a case can be made for mastering one strobe, two will increase your productivity in the long run. Here is a very basic primer on strobe positioning http://opticaloceansales.com/files/Strobe Positioning-sm.pdf. Note the picture on the first page/center of the diver shooting the Potato Cod, fair example of how your strobes work.

First I would check that the new strobe can work with the one you have

Second I would check you know what to do with your set up. You say you are new to underwater photography, how are your shots? Do you fill the need of a second strobe for a specific reason? Or is down to you not knowing how to use what you have?
Maybe invest some money in coaching or training before making other gear decisions?

Go with the D1! Reality is cameras come and go but we tend to keep lighting from set-up to set-up. The D1 will be an excellent strobe for a long time. While a case can be made for mastering one strobe, two will increase your productivity in the long run. Here is a very basic primer on strobe positioning http://opticaloceansales.com/files/Strobe%20Positioning-sm.pdf. Note the picture on the first page/center of the diver shooting the Potato Cod, fair example of how your strobes work.

Went with the YS-01 it fit my budget better. Thx Martin for all your help!

---------- Post Merged at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:41 PM ----------

First I would check that the new strobe can work with the one you have

Second I would check you know what to do with your set up. You say you are new to underwater photography, how are your shots? Do you fill the need of a second strobe for a specific reason? Or is down to you not knowing how to use what you have?
Maybe invest some money in coaching or training before making other gear decisions?

When I say new I have been taking photo underwater for about 2 years now and using my current setup for almost a full year now. It just takes practice and I am still learning but you have to dive more to get comfortable. I average about 6 dives a month and have taken an underwater photo specialty. I would love to take a class but nothing is ever readily available to me in the southeast.

Back
Top Bottom