YS 120 -- high pitched whining noise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robinella

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Coz right now, have another week to go. Today, my strobe started a high-pitched whine for the first 1/2 of the dive, which would stop when the strobe flashed, and then start up again. The ttl light was occasionally lit YELLOW for a while after flashing [didn't look at it soon enuf to see whether it was lit green immediately after flashing]. Took it apart and there's no sign of H2O inside. Any ideas? Unfortunately, Armando, the N-V expert on the island seems to be on perpetual siesta [Christy says that he's not open much any more], and the three times I went by during "open" hours he was closed and shuttered. so, I have no idea how my pix are coming out -- just clicking the shutter and hoping for the best.

Any ideas?

Just a capacitor winding up. Might not be reaching full charge. Maybe your batteries are weak? Contacts clean? Change them out and see if the flash recycles better. Take a pencil eraser to the contacts and/or clean with rubbing alcohol.

it's also possible that the capacitor is giving up the ghost. Can you take a roll in for processing. There's a 1 hr place on the main road.

Jack

The place we'd been to before, on the main road along the water, was in La Cieba hotel -- that's Armando's place, and he doesn't seem to be open for business any more.

thanks for your quick reply and reassurance, I'll try cleaning the contacts -- I'd just put in new batteries yesterday.

Depending on how much you're shooting in a YS 120 I used a set of rechargeables about a day. Nicads or nimh will be much faster to cycle. Go on down to the large store there and buy a set and a charger. The YS120 is a beast on batteries, the set you put in could of been old or something.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom