ys-250pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5teve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have the chance to get a pair of these. I currently have an olympus xz2 and olympus housing. From what I can gather, although not completely black and white there is no TTL or TTL type control with these strobes unless you use a sync cable, and buy a sync adapter - which dont seem to exist for olympus let alone compact olympus camera.

Are there any options for optical to sync cabe adaptors?

I know I can use the strobes in manual.. as I do my current one, but i'm just looking at my options..

I appreciate your thoughts / experience / solutions :)

Steve

Those strobes aren't all that compatible with your camera. You can sync them with optical f/o cords, but only in manual and you'll only have the controls on the strobes. They are total over kill for your little camera as well - very large physically.

I actually have a couple of these. Never used it. What are they worth?

Those strobes aren't all that compatible with your camera. You can sync them with optical f/o cords, but only in manual and you'll only have the controls on the strobes. They are total over kill for your little camera as well - very large physically.

Thanks Jack... I know they are overkill.. but I was thinking longer term - as my equipment changes the strobes are still relevant (still hoping for a housing for the pentax k3!). These are a cheaper option for me than getting 2x s2000 units - hence I was looking. saves me keep on upgrading strobes as the equipment changes over.

I currently have a single ys27dx which is full manual only, and from what I can gather most people use manual apart from some circumstances... I would like to have ttl as an option but again there is so little info about the xz2 and strobes its going to be trial and error I think - manual isnt the end of the world as I can use the camera on AV or manual and still get results (i'm happy with anyway :) ). I'm pretty happy with the camera itself.. Its got the larger sensor 1/1.7 rather than the usual 1/2.6 and has a lot of control / manual options.

I havent seen them physically.. so have no idea on the size and heft.. something I may want to do as if they are too big it will make my camera look like a go pro :)

Superlyte.. couldnt tell you what they are worth in the us, but they are some serious money over here in oz $1700+aud each... and i've been offered them silly cheap compared to that for the pair.

Steve

these strobes are VERY large. from a future proof prospective, they are dinosaurs.

they provide ttl via wired sync (fine for me!) they can be optically controlled, but only in manual mode.

used and cheap is great, but only if they are about half the price of a pair of ys110a's. so about $125 each.

Back
Top Bottom