YS-D1 TTL Synch chord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings

Have Nikon SLR in IKelite housing. Have been using SB 800 speedlight in housing however the housing is showing signs of failure.

Thinking of YS-D1...have no experience or knowledge of the synch cord that can be use with it. Would be grateful for info from anyone who has used it. Thanks

Fairwinds

David

There is more than 1 way to accomplish "ttl sync" so maybe my response is pointing in the wrong direction...

I assume you are asking about a electrical sync cable. The link TTL flash connections - Cameras Underwater Ltd
provides a great description of the electrical interface for common connectors, but is not much use if you are thinking fibre optic sync cable...

If you provide a few more details, then I am sure you should be able to find someone to provide more details.

What type of cable (electrical or optical) are you thinking of using? What type do you use now? What type of bulkhead connector does your housing have? Does your housing have an internal TTL converter? What camera are you using?

Using 5 pin synch cord bulk head fitting typical of Nikon gear. Nikon D50 camera. No internal converter.

Don't believe fiber optic sync cable will work since the flash on the camera isn't usable inside the housing.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Fairwinds

David

Using 5 pin synch cord bulk head fitting typical of Nikon gear. Nikon D50 camera. No internal converter.

Don't believe fiber optic sync cable will work since the flash on the camera isn't usable inside the housing.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Fairwinds

David
I am still confused. Does your housing have an Ikelite bulkhead or a Nikonos bulkhead? (both are 5 wire). Different bulkheads mean you will need a different cable. Ikelite vs Sea & Sea / Inon.

If you are lucky, the Best case you only need a cable. But maybe not.

Used S&S cables (which are Nikonos bulkhead compatible) can be found on the interweb for around $75 plus shipping. New ones are around $125+. I have no idea on prices for an ikelite bulkhead compatible cable.

The big unanswered question is which TTL protocol(s) is supported by your camera? The old analog nikonos TTL or the new Nikon iTTL? Maybe both? Your SB800 supports both, so that causes lots of confusion. The S&S will only support the analog nikonos TTL via the wired sync cable (refer to the link i provided above for griszy electrical details).

Do you want TTL?

If your camera only supports the new digital iTTL then you will be limited to manual mode via the wired sync cable (and you may have to clip off a few wires inside the housing since only ground and X are required). Not rocket science, but I am unsure if smoke and/or fire hazard will result if the other wires are connected.

If you have an Ikelite housing, why not consider an Ikelite strobe? Generally, they have ttl capability with adjustment on the housing for the particular camera. Might not be as powerful, but their ttl system is proven, and you use an Ikelite cord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom