YS110 Battery issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This last Sat, for the first time since getting my strobes (several years and hundreds of dives) I had a triggering issue.

I was taking a lot of images, and after about 40 or so flashes.. it suddenly when south on me.

At first, it would not trigger accurately.. over expose.. underexpose...but after about 10 or 15 shots like that, it suddenly lost cync with the camera.. it would flash but the image was black.

I tested every connection... did test shots.. tested all the strobe knobs... nothing worked until I turned the strobe off and on, and then it would work for maybe 5 or 6 shots and do it again... argggg.

Was a bit depressed, thinking it was a broken strobe.

That night, when I went to charge all the batteries.. I noticed something odd about one set of two.. it would go thru the test system, but the charge light did not come on...seems that two of the 8 batteries I thought I had charged were not charged at all.

While I have never tried this before.. seems that having one or two bad batteries will show a red light, but mess up the strobe.. did not know that.

After getting some disposables... everything is working great.

Just wanted to pass along that if you have an event like mine, check the batteries first.

Thanks for posting. I've had a similar experience. One strobe acted weird and then shut down halfway through my first dive (they'll usually go at least 3). Turned out I had one bad battery. Now I check them with a load tester at least every few weeks after charging. Keep an eye on the battery contact tabs on your battery covers as well. They're easy to bend if the cover turns slightly while pushing in place to turn the locking mechanism. I've had one bend just enough to make intermittent contact. They're easy to just bend carefully back in place as long as you haven't broken the plastic frame.

All good info to know. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom