YSD2J fires too slowly in TTL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skl007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure what's going on with my strobe, but while it fires during TTL, it doesn't actually light my image. My other YSD2J has no such problems. I tried resetting the strobe to no avail. I've also swapped fiber optic cables and batteries with the strobe that works fine, and I'm still getting no difference. That being said, I can turn the strobe to manual mode with pre-flash, and not only does it work fine, but the light output is significantly higher than the strobe that works properly. Any ideas as to what's going on and how I might be able to resolve my issue?

Is the flash delayed (per your title) or seemingly underpowered? I’ve had one strobe fire a bit late and it was resolved by going to Nauticam wires; but firing on time with light output diminished sounds to me like a problem with the unit.

Delayed/premature on TTL, so test images show no illumination from the strobe. On manual with preflash, it fires fine and more powerful than the strobe that functions normally.

I’m sure you know that in TTL, there are camera-specific “preflashes” before the strobe fires. Could your camera (or strobe trigger) be set to manual flash? If you put both on manual with the same power setting, do they appear to fire identically? What camera and strobe trigger are you using?

I’m sure you know that in TTL, there are camera-specific “preflashes” before the strobe fires. Could your camera (or strobe trigger) be set to manual flash? If you put both on manual with the same power setting, do they appear to fire identically? What camera and strobe trigger are you using?

Yep! I'm using a TG-6 and things have been fine in the past, one strobe only just starting acting up on day 8 of my dive trip. With both strobes on manual at the same power, the "faulty" strobe is firing stronger than the other strobe.

Many possibilities.
Might want to go back to one of your photo's that had the issue and then look at it's exif-data{exiftool} Specifically the ISO speed and if it's way high.

A helpful next step, if available, might be to try the same setup with a different camera. But it seems like there might be a problem with the strobe.

A helpful next step, if available, might be to try the same setup with a different camera. But it seems like there might be a problem with the strobe.
I think it's a problem with the strobe unfortunately. I took it diving and it was pretty unusable. I'm unable to turn the strobe's power down.

Bummer. But you can still do a lot with one strobe.

Bummer. But you can still do a lot with one strobe.
Agreed! And today's a macro day, so totally doable with just one. Maybe it's time to start reading reviews on the YSD3 duo....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom