yucatan cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to Cozumel in January....so pumped I can hardly sleep at night!!!!! This is my 5 or 6th time there, but my wife's first.
I would like to dive in the cenotes on the Yucatan coast. Comments, suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated.

Mike

Hi Buff,

Here's a little piece I did for my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Cenotes ("say-NO-tays"); Spanish for "caverns") are collapsed openings in the caps of underground cave systems. These are largely limestone structures and mostly filled with fresh water, although some are fresh water on top and salt water below. At one time above ground, over centuries stalactites, stalagmites, columns, petrified trees and flows formed. When the land sunk below sea level, the systems flooded. The most popular cenote diving area seems to be in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, primarily around Akumal. This area contains the world's largest known, and as yet not fully explored, marine cave system.

You do not need cavern/cave certification or any special equipment to dive these cenotes. Your DM will be so certified and dive fully rigged. You will get a brief orientation, dive the rule of thirds, and nearly always be within sight of an exit, even though sometimes it gets pretty far away and small looking. Viz is extraordinary, although there is almost no marine life. The cenotes you will dive are not easily silted, and dangerous areas are well marked and off limits. Some of the best are Temple of Doom, Room of Tears, Dos Ojos and Car Wash. Water temps are about 76 plus/minus 2 degrees, so take thermal protection. Non-divers can snorkel, free dive and lay back in some cool and inviting areas. One thing you should be aware of is the somewhat strenuous trip to many cenotes. The ride in can be rough, and you typically completely suit up, except for mask and fins, and then hike to a steep and sometimes crude ladder entry.

Dives shops in Playa del Carmen, Akumal and Puerto Aventuras can arrange things. If you are staying on Cozumel, most dive shops there can set up a day trip."

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

Buff find me when you get here. I've got lots of tourists passing thru in December and will need a break. I want to "touch" cave diving. Maybe Villas de Rosas in Akumal. Maybe a field trip ?

don O

The wife and I dove Ben's Cavern in Grand Bahama. It is a "Cenote". This was one of the coolest dives we've done so far. We got to see a halocline too,as the top is fresh water with saltwater underneath, and the rock formations were just amazing. This dive has really got me interested in Cavern and Cave diving. I hope you find it as Exciting as we did.

Tavi

I just got back from Cancun last night. I made 2 dives in a Cenote on Saturday. They were by far the best dives I've made to date. Over 200ft visibility , wonderful formations, water temp. 77,
need full wetsuit and good light. Definitely once in a lifetime dive!!

Todd

If I may be so bold as to recommend Buddy Quattlebum at Hidden worlds/ Dos Ojos/ Bat cave. Great folks and awesome site. The ride out in the "jungle buggy" is a trip to be remembered, bring your mosquito repellent and full 3mm.

STT :jester:

I just got back from caving that area. Of the caves we did, I kept an eye out for what I though would be exceptional cenote dives, and of the cenotes we entered, I'd vote for Dos Ojos first choice and Gran Cenote second choice. There may be others, but those are the ones I got to see first hand.

If I was going to try my hand at cavern, Dos Ojos would be the place, bar none.

I don't know who to suggest to go through, but I'd make sure their destination is one of those two sites. One operation I'd start with is Aquatec Villas DeRosa (where I stayed while down there). You can find them at http://www.cenotes.com

You can read my cave trip report at: http://www.scubaboard.com/t4872/s.html

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom