Yukon Kudos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @eponym

Thanks for reviving your post, brought back very good memories. Your original post was from 8 days after I joined SB!

My first dives in San Diego were between 1972 and 1976 while I attended UCSD, well before the Yukon was sunk in 2000. Jump ahead and I was able to do 13 dives on the Yukon around 4 business trips to San Diego between 2007 and 2012. I have fond memories of all the white Metridium anemones and wonderful swim throughs from bow to stern along the "Burma Road", entering the starboard dolphin cutout and exiting a stern hatch. I dived the Yukon in water as cold as 50, but as warm as 61. Maybe I will still get back someday.

@azstinger11 I recall reading the Metridiums on the Yukon were having a tough time with warming water, how is that going now, do you know?

There are still some but they aren't as wide spread as they once were, I feel certain areas are still dense but it used to be more widespread. When the Yukon's bridge went into the sand a few years ago that entire section seems like it got scrubbed clean. You can get a sense of the bridge from Brett's post. The most recent video I could find (not mine) of the wreck is this one

or maybe this one is better

Hopefully before the year is out, I will have a full photogrammetry model of the Yukon. :)

- brett
Thanks, I believe I always used the mooring line near the forward gun. The bridge and smokestack were generally intact in 2012. You could swim out along the smokestack into the blue (or other color), gorgeous.

Thanks, I believe I always used the mooring line near the forward gun. The bridge and smokestack were generally intact in 2012. You could swim out along the smokestack into the blue (or other color), gorgeous.

I believe the forward mooring line is no longer there. From memory, there are two amidships and one at the stern now.

- brett

Thanks, I believe I always used the mooring line near the forward gun. The bridge and smokestack were generally intact in 2012

Yeah milt's tilt (between the bridge and smokestack) collapsed in January of 2021 when a particularly bad winter storm hit the area. You can still traverse the ship inside but it's not as "clean" as it once was. Also a lot of my favorite swim through are no longer present.

I believe the forward mooring line is no longer there. From memory, there are two amidships and one at the stern now.

- brett

Was talking to someone recently, they have purhcased the line/buoy to replace it. Just haven't gotten it in place yet.

Do you happen to recall the name of the 737 special? Sounds interesting.
It was a recent episode on basic TV - Mega Builders, IIRC. Look on the Artifical Reef Society of British Columbia website, maybe. It's now been in-water for years, should be sporting some impressive life if everything went as planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom