Zeagle OctoZ question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoctorBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not really sure where to post this, but I thought this would be a good place to start.
I recently bought a Zeagle BC with the OctoZ as an octopus. It is their version of combined octopus/power inflator. Thought the idea of donating the primary reg and using the OctoZ for as my own reg in an out of air emergency seemed like a good idea. Also like the idea of one less hose, more streamlining, etc.
Anyways, I recently stumbled on this site and began reading about the Hogarthian, DIR ideas about diving and am somewhat intrigued. It has me questioning my set up. Is my primary reg hose going to be long enough to share air comfortably in an out of air situation? Should I consider getting an extra long hose for my primary reg and wrap it around my neck? Would it make sense to do this and keep the OctoZ as my backup reg? Or should I go ahead and mount the backup reg on a short hose and bungee it under my chin, in the Hogarthian style?
Most of my diving is in warm water, Caribbean type locations. I have never seen people diving with this setup in the Caribbean except and instructor friend of mine who is also a cave diver who went on a trip with us over 10 years ago. We all thought his setup was crazy, but as I am reading this forum it makes a lot of sense.
Am I even worrying too much about this? Just wondering what people think about the combined octopus/power inflators in general.

Thanks,

Bob

I have been using the Octo Plus for the las 13 years and it has always served me right.
my Octo is what came before the OctoZ, and I have been very happy with it.

I have never meet anyone that is an Hogarthian Diver but I as you would like to see a set up close to just find out what they are all about!
But if you are really wanting to know if your octo is ok for your type of diving sure is in my book!

I have the Zeagle octoZ Setup on my Ranger BC. I went with a 40" 2nd stage hose and a 90deg swivel to the reg. The hose routes under my right arm. I'm happy with this setup

Attachments

• bh14.JPG
    bh14.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 78
I dive an SS1 (same thing different brand) and am a little ambivalent about it. I may switch back to an octo and inflator or use both setups as I feel like it or the situation indicates

I just ordered the Zeagle bx power inflator that will allow me to use the SS1 or the Zeagle inflator on my Ranger

I put a 5' miflex hose on my main second stage and love it. I route it under my right arm across my chest and around my neck. A shorter hose may be to short without wanting to pull on the reg if you try and route it this way. I am not planning on doing any wreck penetration or cave diving so I did not get the 7" hose.

The one big advantage that I see to the Zeagle Octo-Z, Atomic SS1 and the Zeable bx power inflator is the garden hose connection that allows you to flush your bc bladder with a garden hose when you get home and soak your gear.

There are numerous threads on the merits of combo octo/inflator vs. separate octo with plenty of Kool-Aid to go around. IMHO your set-up is fine for the type of diving you have described.

I used to have one then took a course that involved alot of tasks like buddy breathing, OOA drills and other things specific to that course that involved controlling bouancy for your another diver and having mine controlled by another diver.

A seperate primary and Octo was the way to go. I found the limitations and how complicated the Octo + or Octo Z made things.

Just my 500 psi I don't think an extra hose makes a significant impact on stream lining. Also most divers are trained to grab the Octo that should be in the triangle in the middle of your body.

One problem I found with my SS1 is that I like to have my regulator/octo/SPG set up with me on the 'carry on' just in case the luggage gets lost (it does happend), if you have enough space to put your mask, computer, BC and regulator/octo/SPG in the carry-on you are good.
In my case I have a big & heavy BC and didn't fit in the carry-on luggage which meant that if the Airline lost my luggage I would have to rent reg/octo/SPG also.:(
The SS1 is the same as yours by Atomic.

Back
Top Bottom