Zeagle Ranger vs ScubaPro Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAn0n

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all. I am getting ready to start my open water vert training in a couple of weeks. I have dove once before. I am currently gearing up (which reminds me that I have some questions haha) I was looking at different BCD's and was just wondering you alls opinions. I am a 5'9'' 180lbs male in decent shape and plan on doing rec diving with the every now and then wreck/cavern diving (down the road after much more training/experience). Now I have slimmed down my choices to only back inflates and I am aware of the issue some people have on the surface. I dove the first time with the Mares Prestige MRS+. My main goal is quality and performance. I would like to achieve closest to absolute bouencey and also have great mobility underwater. Packing for travel is not a concern for me. So I have tried on both the Zeagle Ranger and the Scubapro Knighthawk and I was wondering what you alls opinion on the vs of these two is? Both felt just fine on me fyi but that was out of water.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and kind of went off topic :/... I will learn where everything is on the forum now.
Thank You all!

I have not dove the Scubapro, so no real comment on that. In my open water class I used a back inflate and soon after I got a Ranger and loved it. The Ranger also has more lift than you will probably need with a single tank. I still liked it though, I actually still have it and should probably sell it someday.

Since then I have moved on to a back plate and wing as my diving has progressed. I won't preach about BP/W's, but if you like back inflates try one, it is the same thing with less parts and more customizable. But I did like diving my Ranger.

I have a kinghthawk and honestly short of getting a tech setup(a long ways down the road) I don't think I'll part with mine anytime soon. I knowa few others who have picked up the knighthawk/ladyhawk just loved them myself I'm 5'10 165lbs and dive in the cold waters of vancouver island. The one thing I love with it is the weight pouch clips hold the weights in very well. The current aqua lung style scares the **** out of me by comparison (neither here not there). I find the D rings in decent spots the shoulder ones are just right and the hip once are pretty good as well. Also the pockets can be zipped up into small pouches just under he integrated weights when not in use. The lift capacity is going to be far more than you need in texas at at medium I think it 46 or 52lbs off the top of my head. The dumps work very well and are easily accessed. The only real downside is finding a place to put your dive knife on your BCD. I had to use a pair of zap straps to get mine on there but it sits nicely on my left shoulder now. Another person I know just put a couple of holes where his weight pockets go and went that route.

I havea feeling though this thread will be moved to the BCD's sub section of the equipment sub forum.

Go with the Range it a great BCD, Their is a spot right in the front to put a knife. I got the third one off the factory floor and had it for many years until it shrunk:wink:. I gave it to a friend of mine and he loves it to. My wife dives with the Zeagle Concept.

Been diving with a Zeagle BCD since 1989 and love it. Never dove the Scubapro BCD. I did own a Dacor shorty BCD. I will say that, two years ago I upgraded my Zeagle and bought the Zeagle Ranger and love it! It takes a little getting use to compared to the normal jacket style BCD, but once you own one you'll be hard pressed to ever switch, unless you join the Tec realm.

Both are great BCs, but honestly if you are serious about wreck or cavern you should consider a BP/W. It is not uncommon for divers to have more than one rig but really comes down to how much you are diving, what you are diving and many $$ you have to spend.. If you are just starting out I would suggest a back inflate so you don't "out grow" it to quickly.

I had similar interests and goals when I started diving. Biggest mistake I made was not getting into a Back Plate and Wing from the beginning. Especially because the best fitting BC I could find at the time kinda wasn't. It was the closest to what I needed. There's no sense in getting something good enough for now that down the road is going to be less than ideal. Unless you're made of money. I wasn't and still am not. But I have 4 plate and wing set ups for different configurations and conditions. Once your're under water you see how useless and even negative are features like padding, d rings that can't be moved, clips that require you to undo this or that, or are difficult to use in low or zero vis when you have to do it by feel.

And that pockets on the exposure suit are better than any attached or built into a BC.

The Scubapro KnightHawk is Scubapro's most popular B.C.

If you like backmounted, then it may be the B.C. for you.

Why? What sets it apart or makes it better than the Ranger or a BPW? I happen to have some little experience with all of them and IMO I find both the Ranger and Nighthawk to be bulky. And with the Ranger coming in at $750 or so and the Nighthawk at 625 or so at LeisurePro awfully expensive given that the OP has indicated wreck and cavern training down the road where a BPW at $400 tops would be a better choice overall for the hundreds less that could be spent diving and gettting experience.

The Ranger and Nighthawk both had things going for them but not enough to justify a $300 price difference. While both were supposed to be my size, like my original BC, neither fit perfectly. They had lots of adjustment but tightening one thing here made something else loose. The pockets on each did not work for me at all. Too large and too hard to locate things. And my right shoulder has a bit of limited range and it just was not comfortable using them.

They also required more weight than a Plate and Wing to get neutral due to their inherent buoyancy. For doff and don drills on the bottom way too floppy and too many things going every which way. If they removed most of the padding, pockets, and allowed all the d rings to be positioned where the diver wanted them and made a crotch strap standard they be much more effective and user friendly.

And I like Zeagle products. But my favorite is the basic Express Tech customized to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom