Zeagle Ranger Wicked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just completed two dives in Grand Cayman and two in Cozumel with my new Zeagle Ranger Wicked. What a fantastic BCD and a worthy replacement for my beloved Zeagle Stiletto. Very comfortable & secure!

Keep up the good work Zeagle!!!

I just got back from a dive shop where I am shopping for a BCD and reg. I have looked at the Ranger , it feels great on and from what I have seen and read is a very durable well made product. I have not seen the Stiletto yet ( the LDS is going to see if the supplier has one in stock to send over) but from what I have read it also seems be a rugged well built BCD . Being relatively new to diving I don't see myself needing the twin tank capability of the Ranger , or the 44lb lift. My diving will likely be equally split between home and winter tropical getaway's and I am very interested in the Stiletto as I think it would likely travel better than the Ranger as far as being a little less bulky.
I would like to hear your thought's coming from someone who has had both. Did you out grow the Stilletto and need more of a technical BCD? Or other reasons to move to the Ranger.

Kelly

I did not grow out of the Stiletto, I was just in a position where I didn't use it very much anymore. I started working part time as a dive master at a shop that required we wear the "latest and greatest Aqualung BCD." I spent the majority of my time wearing Aqualung stuff, even during non-training dives just so I would could learn to be 100% comfortable with the Aqualung i3 system. (I HATE the i3 system). I then drifted over to a BPW set-up for my personal diving and initially loved it. The love affair didn't last long. Somewhere in the middle of all this I sold my beloved Stiletto to a friend.

I bought the Ranger after trying one that belonged to a friend. I liked it and found one (Ranger Wicked) that cost less than a Stiletto....otherwise I would have bought another Stiletto. The Ranger can be used in a more tech environment, but honestly it is as comfortable as any regular recreational BCD. Ranger or Stiletto, you won't go wrong.

Hey , thanks for the insight on both. One question for you , did you find the Ranger a bit bulkier than the Stiletto? or is there any difference ( as far a packing / travel goes) One reason I am leaning towards the Stiletto is I'm thinking with the smaller air bladder it might take less space to pack, but then again I haven't even seen one yet to really compare.
My thought is if the Stiletto isn't a bit more compact I will likely go with the Wicked ( if my LDS can get it ) They have given me a great package price on the BCD and Reg setup so I would like to buy local as long as it is not much more than online.
Thanks

I briefly had both. I've owned a Ranger for a some years and bought a Stiletto for a trip. Both seem to have the same durability and as you've noticed the Stiletto is single tank only with a smaller bladder.

I was able to stuff the Stiletto into an airline legal roller carry-on bag but there wouldn't be much else in there with it. Unless you have one of those Dive Caddy's, I doubt you could get a full set of gear in carry-on. I also personally believe that any airline that checks a Dive Caddy would find it to be oversize and require gate checking but no one seems to address that - I've asked.

So is there a big advantage to diving a Stiletto? IDK. I never did because mine was missing a side bungie and a couple other pieces so I returned it for a refund. Never bothered to buy another one. My plan now is to buy a travel BC for that aspect of my diving and leave the Ranger home.

Other options in the Zeagle line you might consider are the Wicked Lite, the Express Tech soft backplate (will take doubles) or the Covert. The problem with the Covert is that it's WYSISYG - it doesn't use the PFS fit system. Or have storage pockets, the two you see are weight pockets.

The Express Tech will take a bigger wing also if the standard 24# isn't enough. And you can add on either weight system. But it gets expensive fully equipped - to the point where other Zeagle models are as expensive yet have pockets. Which it also doesn't.

If you don't need pockets, the Wicked Lite might be an option also. They're selling out at $300.. I believe the Covert is sort of the Wicked Lite replacement - I don't think the Tribal Markings on the Wicked sold as well as they'd like.

One last option is the Brigade. It's Scubatoys own creation, a Ranger Jacket with an Escape wing for travel. They're also in the $400 range.

Both Wicked's seem to be discontinued also - LeisurePro has them but most other retailers don't. They're no longer listed on Zeagle.com either - I suspect that Zeagle is reducing their offerings after being bought out by Huish Outdoors.

Even if your dealer can't get one, they can fix yours. About all that ever goes wrong with Zeagle's is the inflator occasionally sticks. Buy the BX inflator, it makes cleaning the bladder a breeze - you hook it to a garden hose to flush it. I think they're standard now.

The size difference between Stiletto and Ranger is not that much. Just back from Cayman and Coz using the same luggage and boat bag I always use. I say go with whatever is less expensive. Leisure Pro has the Ranger Wicked for just over $400. Very nice looking BC in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom