Zeagle Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

osb

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone else was affected by the recent Zeagle recall on the high pressure seat in the first stage. ?

>>Details posted at www.zeagle.com

My reg was produced before the recall, but was in for its annual service and received one of the defective seats. The shop let me know right away (coincidentaly, I had encountered the problem that same day) that Zeagle had a recall on the seats and there could be leaking at high tank pressures.

My question is this...

The seat was replaced, but i still notice some leaking at various tank pressures. It goes away if I crank down the 2nd stage adjustment knob. So, should I have the 1st or the 2nd rechecked ?

thanks
OSB

sorry to reply to my own post...

i just wanted to get one more chance to run the question by the group before it dropped off the first page. I could really use some ideas... I like to somewhat educated before I go back to the shop.

thanks
OSB

My personal opinion is that if you are not fully confident in your reg for any reason and don't service them yourself, have someone who knows what they are doing take a look at it. Ask them questions, etc.

Your local LDS should be able to handle all of your concerns...

Tony, Thanks for the reply,

I'll try to describe it better. There is a slow hiss from the second stage. It does not always start right after mounting the reg on a tank, but usually does after a few test breaths. This is only when setting up the gear and messing with it on land... I dont notice any difference in the pool. I have not taken it diving since the seat has been replaced.

I tried it on different tank pressures, and it happens at any pressure. This is unlike the initial issue with the high pressure seat when it only happened at 2800+ psi.

Sometimes the hiss goes away after a quick purge, but usually comes back. I cranked down the adjustment knob on the second stage and that seemed to quiet it. It didnt come back but I only had it that way for a minute or so.

I'm definitely planning on taking it back to the shop, but was hoping some folks here might have some insight for me.

thanks
OSB.

osb once bubbled...
Tony, Thanks for the reply,

I'll try to describe it better. There is a slow hiss from the second stage. It does not always start right after mounting the reg on a tank, but usually does after a few test breaths. This is only when setting up the gear and messing with it on land... I dont notice any difference in the pool. I have not taken it diving since the seat has been replaced.

I tried it on different tank pressures, and it happens at any pressure. This is unlike the initial issue with the high pressure seat when it only happened at 2800+ psi.

Sometimes the hiss goes away after a quick purge, but usually comes back. I cranked down the adjustment knob on the second stage and that seemed to quiet it. It didnt come back but I only had it that way for a minute or so.

I'm definitely planning on taking it back to the shop, but was hoping some folks here might have some insight for me.

thanks
OSB.

The problem as I heard was that the high pressure seat was made from some bad plastic and was having problems under the pressure and temp (very cold) resulting in HP seats cracking. If this happened, you would probably be in a situation where no air would be delivered.

Sounds to me like you need to get the demand lever adjusted in your second to stop it from free flowing. It's probably not related, but it never hurts to have the whole thing looked over.

Have them check the IP with a gauge and that should verify that the HP seat is working correctly. I assume you're taking this to Scubaland adventures?

Yes, that is correct. Are you familiar with Scubaland ?

The description I was given was as follows:

A blue dye was used to color the seat, and that dye weakend the plastic and caused it to develop micro cracks. The symptom expected was that the IP would creep at high tank pressures-- And that is exactly what happened to me after my reg had it's annual in May.

I took it back to the shop where the seat was replaced. When I got home I tried the reg out in the pool and noticed the leak when setting it up.

I'll definately have them go throught the whole thing, and ask that they check the IP with a guage. What should the IP be ?

The problem is resolved now.

The shop adjusted the 2nd stage and the leak is gone. They did check the IP, and it was 130.

The shop says it should be 135 (+/- 10).

Norcaldiver said it should be 142-147.

Zeagle has a downloadable manual that says 135-150 but the Flathead is not listed in that manual.

OK... so I've got three different answers - Any ideas on where to get a definitive answer, or should I just not worry about it since it's working fine now.

thanks
OSB.

osb once bubbled...
The problem is resolved now.

The shop adjusted the 2nd stage and the leak is gone. They did check the IP, and it was 130.

The shop says it should be 135 (+/- 10).

Norcaldiver said it should be 142-147.

Zeagle has a downloadable manual that says 135-150 but the Flathead is not listed in that manual.

OK... so I've got three different answers - Any ideas on where to get a definitive answer, or should I just not worry about it since it's working fine now.

thanks
OSB.

I don't know the correct answer, but you could always give Zeagle a call. It's not a bad idea to know the correct range. If you ever intend to work on your regs yourself, or you just want to make sure they are operating in spec, you'll need to know.

That being said, the techs at Scubaland are pretty good and I think their shop has a bias for Zeagle products, so I think they are more familiar with the Zeagle line than any other over there...

What was the final solution? Sounds like your old IP (130) was in the range the shop says is okay... Did they bring it up to 135 to fix the problem?

Back
Top Bottom