Zeagle regulator maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squee!

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just purchased a pair of zeagle regs and want to know if Zeagle offers a tech course for maintaining and servicing these things. I likely will, in the forseeable future, be spending a year or so in parts of South america or africa or malaysia, and may not have a place to readily service them if I need to. Anyone have any info on this?

squee!

Zeagle, like most manufacturers does not offer service courses except through dealers. Some of them offer equipment courses. As a former dealer this was the kind of special course I often arranged, especially for equipment purchasers. I still teach extensive equipment courses. Ever get up to Tampa Bay?

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Sales
cubera@ij.net
727-423-7775

Chad Carney:
squee!

Zeagle, like most manufacturers does not offer service courses except through dealers. Some of them offer equipment courses. As a former dealer this was the kind of special course I often arranged, especially for equipment purchasers. I still teach extensive equipment courses. Ever get up to Tampa Bay?

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Sales
cubera@ij.net
727-423-7775

Typically don't have much ties to florida at all, though I beleive there may be a very large conference in orlando that I will likely attend next fall. Why, are you offering me a course? :eyebrow:

squee!:
I have just purchased a pair of zeagle regs and want to know if Zeagle offers a tech course for maintaining and servicing these things. I likely will, in the forseeable future, be spending a year or so in parts of South america or africa or malaysia, and may not have a place to readily service them if I need to. Anyone have any info on this?

There is in fact an authorised dealer in Malaysia. No problem on servicing. Check the Zeagle website for the address and contact number. They are located in Kuala Lumpur opposite the Times Square Shopping Center.

You wont find a course to service your own stuff, but a good equipment course is a good way to learn to do a lot of good stuff in between.

Depending on how much diving you will be doing you may not need to service it but just maintain it. I doubt anyone will sell you parts for it since you are not an authorized Zeagle tech but it should be able to go a year or more without a problem. Have it checked prior to departure and enjoy. Have it overhauled when you get back or can find a Zeagle repair facility.

Scott

Scottri:
Depending on how much diving you will be doing you may not need to service it but just maintain it. I doubt anyone will sell you parts for it since you are not an authorized Zeagle tech but it should be able to go a year or more without a problem. Have it checked prior to departure and enjoy. Have it overhauled when you get back or can find a Zeagle repair facility.

Scott

Sound advice. So can someone clarify what the difference between service and maintenance is? I mean other than soacking it and making sure I don't have salt crystals or . . . go forbid . . . mold.

squee!:
Sound advice. So can someone clarify what the difference between service and maintenance is? I mean other than soacking it and making sure I don't have salt crystals or . . . go forbid . . . mold.

Service - take apart, change all the o-rings, seats, etc, then re-assemble, bench test and adjust for proper pressures.

Maintenance - fresh water rinse. Oh... and make sure the dust cap is in place.

On maintenance, I'd add hook it back up to the cylinder and bow air through it.

I agree with RQdvr009 about a good equipment course, just so you know enough about gear to use it or not. This is one of the first things a dive professional learns at a store, so he can rent out gear.

Last week I dove with a guy who just got his regulator back from service. He rolled in with it for an 85 foot dive, and had massive water into the second stage immediately. He should have known this before entering the water because it let in much ambient air at the surface. The suspected causes would be the diaphragm or the exhaust valves. You could see the exhaust valves were ok from looking in the tee, and a mouth piece tear would have to be huge and quite noticeable to leak that much water. (The regulator had a special screwdown clamp ring and cover designed to keep the user out, so there was no way he could have fixed it and dove with it, unless he had the prior knowledge and tools, or was an extremely "McGiver" type individual.) It turned out the regulator's 2nd stage diafragm was not screwed down all the way and collapsed, like a short-sheeted bed.
Many brands of regulators are designed to keep out the diver, but other companies make the second stage simple and easy to check out, rinse or remove debris.

Technical classes I teach begin with a partial equipment course. I don't dive deep with untested gear and don't think anybody should. A little knowledge goes a long way.

Chad

Chad Carney:
The regulator had a special screwdown clamp ring and cover designed to keep the user out, so there was no way he could have fixed it and dove with it, unless he had the prior knowledge and tools, or was an extremely "McGiver" type individual.) It turned out the regulator's 2nd stage diafragm was not screwed down all the way and collapsed, like a short-sheeted bed.
Many brands of regulators are designed to keep out the diver, but other companies make the second stage simple and easy to check out, rinse or remove debris.

Technical classes I teach begin with a partial equipment course. I don't dive deep with untested gear and don't think anybody should. A little knowledge goes a long way.

Chad
No offence but this was completely preventable.... a quick couple of breathes before ducking under the water..... doesn't everyone do this..... But I will say that somethings are just unpreventable and you cannot do anything....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom