Zeagle Scout vs. Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthewkavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a super-travel-ready BC that I could also use to do my much less frequent cold-water dives in the NorthEast.
The stiletto fits the bill nicely, but it's twice the price of the Scout (at least at ScubaToys). And I've read from other posts that you can buy it with the 35pound bladder instead.

So, my question is (if anyone can help) is the Stiletto that much better that I want it for so much more money? If so, why?

Thanks
_Matt

(PS, on weight we're looking at 6 warm water, 14 cold, 18 semidry with hood, haven't dry suit dove yet, but planning on it.)

matthewkavanagh:
I'm looking for a super-travel-ready BC that I could also use to do my much less frequent cold-water dives in the NorthEast.
The stiletto fits the bill nicely, but it's twice the price of the Scout (at least at ScubaToys). And I've read from other posts that you can buy it with the 35pound bladder instead.

So, my question is (if anyone can help) is the Stiletto that much better that I want it for so much more money? If so, why?

Thanks
_Matt

(PS, on weight we're looking at 6 warm water, 14 cold, 18 semidry with hood, haven't dry suit dove yet, but planning on it.)

I have the Scout 24# bladder(about 30 dives with it)......use 12 #s in salt water and have used up to 15#s in fresh water( 3/2 full over a 2 mm shorty with a chicken hood)....I love it........It's pretty much a basic BC but that's all I have ever dove with for 1000- dives....Also, it's easy to travel with, brought it to Little Cayman for it's 1st use, weights 5.5 #s empty...

Wife also used it @ Little Cayman and loved it......here's a pic of her there...
IMG_1293036.jpg

The Scout is great for travel and warm water, but you mention cold water diving. How much weight do you intend to use. The Scout only has rear integrated pockets vs the Stilletto can carry weght in the front and rear. If 15#-20# of weight were to be carried in the rear pockets of the Scout there may be a tendency for the weight to roll the diver. The Stilletto would most likely be better siuted for cold water diving depending your weight requirements.

I dive cold water with a Scout. Just wear a weight belt. I did buy mine with a 35# wing though.

If you can handle the price i would definitely go with the stilleto. I've dove my roommates and love the BC. I actually wish i had one instead of my Ranger because it's alot less bulky then my ranger is. I have dove the scout before and it's a BC....that's about all i can say about it. Good for the price, but i'm now a fan of buying the right thing the first time. You won't regret a stilleto....you might regret the scout...

Does Scout had any lumbar support? If it doesn't you'll have problem walking with tank on your back. I myself trying to chooose between Scout and Stiletto. Never seen Scout in person, my local store does not have it. Stiletto looks very good, very solid BC.
BTW, you can use front pockets in Scout for weight too. As long as it's not more than your bladder lift.

Does Scout had any lumbar support? If it doesn't you'll have problem walking with tank on your back.

Could you please elaborate more on this? First time I hear it, so I'm interested...

Could you please elaborate more on this? First time I hear it, so I'm interested...
Ever been to Bonaire? Ever had to walk steps with your tank on your bank and led in your pockets? May be not for you but can be not so good without lumber support.

Does Scout had any lumbar support? If it doesn't you'll have problem walking with tank on your back. I myself trying to chooose between Scout and Stiletto. Never seen Scout in person, my local store does not have it. Stiletto looks very good, very solid BC.
BTW, you can use front pockets in Scout for weight too. As long as it's not more than your bladder lift.

I have found it very comfortable walking up & down steep hills (fully donned) @ the turbine channels @ Toledo Bend Reservoir.....It made me feel very sturdy & sure of my steps.......

If you can handle the price i would definitely go with the stilleto. I've dove my roommates and love the BC. I actually wish i had one instead of my Ranger because it's alot less bulky then my ranger is. I have dove the scout before and it's a BC....that's about all i can say about it. Good for the price, but i'm now a fan of buying the right thing the first time. You won't regret a stilleto....you might regret the scout...

I agree. I kinda wish I got the Stiletto instead. Got the Ranger since it was on sale for the same price. May get a smaller bladder.

I'd go with the Stiletto for a few reasons.

1 is it's got the multi piece harness. You can get the shoulder straps in a different size than the waist band if you need it to be different sizes. Gives a better custom fit, and since that is the way the Stiletto and Ranger were intended to be sold, it should not cost more. I have a larger shoulder section with a medium waist. The tank felt like it was secured to me better.

2 The material used will be stronger and more durable I believe. Each step up at Zeagle imrpoves just about every little aspect.

3 The lumbar pad is very nice. Just finished a trip to Bonaire. No trouble with comfort while going up and down steps, ramps, ledges. Being 29 didn't hurt that either.

4 I am pretty sure that the Stiletto has integrated weights. I love this feature. Find it more comfortable and easier to get around while fully geared.

I personally have the Ranger which has a larger bladder and the harness part is a different material than the Stiletto. However I took OW and AOW renting the Scout. I do not want to dive with out my Ranger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom