Zeagle Stiletto Review - short

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Checked out a Zeagle seriously for the first time today in my hunt for a good BC for a very LARGE man. I loved it, the only thing I did'nt dig too much was the way the salesman freaked out when I yanked the weight rip cord to see where exactly the weights fall out of.

Took him 10 mins to re weave it.

I was a bit disappointed in that system comparing it to all the other BCs on the market where the weights just click right back in. I know its not something your going to do very often but dont you guys find that threading ripcord deal to be cumbersome?

Takes me less than 3 minutes. At first I was scared to touch it in fear of not being able to rethread it correctly. Now I pull it all the time just because Im bored and cant go diving, practice makes perfect maybe during the winter I will get down to 1 minute to get it back together.

scrapdizzy:
Checked out a Zeagle seriously for the first time today in my hunt for a good BC for a very LARGE man. I loved it, the only thing I did'nt dig too much was the way the salesman freaked out when I yanked the weight rip cord to see where exactly the weights fall out of.

Took him 10 mins to re weave it.

I was a bit disappointed in that system comparing it to all the other BCs on the market where the weights just click right back in. I know its not something your going to do very often but dont you guys find that threading ripcord deal to be cumbersome?

Imagine how disappointed you would be if you had to replace those expensive retail priced custom weight pockets because you had to dump your lead? Or maybe more likely, lost one overboard handing it up. Worst yet, a lot of manufactures constantly change these things, and you may not even be able to replace the pouch if your BC is a few years old.

With Zeagle, you can loose the weight, and not be out much if anything for those pockets. I do use the Zeagle mesh inserts, so I'd be out a few bucks if I dumped weight in a deep area.

It's also a one hand dump operation. I've never had to dump weights, but if I did, I would not want to have to find and dump one side at a time.

Another thought is that being a big guy, you may need more lead than a lot of these velcro or clip style pockets can hold, especially if you dive cold water. I think I can get 30 lbs in my Stiletto front pockets, and more in the rear. The Ranger had bigger front pockets, and would hold even more. Other BC's I've dove it think you would be hard pressed to get 20lbs in the front pockets, and that would likely have to be soft weight.

I pulled my ripcord once just to learn to restring it. I don't think it took me 10 minutes to do so having never done it, so your sales rep has obviously never rethreaded a zeagle. If that is the only reason you would consider a different manufacture, than choose Zeagle. I've owned a Ranger, and dive a Stiletto, and I have nothing but good things to say about both.

What is the main Diff between a Ranger and Stiletto? I would'nt get the ranger but went to check it out because I liked the idea of the Brigade through Scubatoys, simply because we are only planning to do Warm Water dives anyway.

scrapdizzy:
What is the main Diff between a Ranger and Stiletto? I would'nt get the ranger but went to check it out because I liked the idea of the Brigade through Scubatoys, simply because we are only planning to do Warm Water dives anyway.

While I don't profess to be an expert, while diving, I had the opportunity to compare the Ranger, & Brigade, to my Stiletto. The Ranger seems to be a heavier duty, (and heavier), BC with more D-rings and probably more lift. It does not look to be a travel BC.

The Brigade looked similiar to the Ranger, but had a lighter bladder. It's the same bladder used on Zeagle's light travel BC, the Escape. (do a search and Zeagle BC's are described ad nauseum:wink: )

I chose the Stiletto, because it packs small, (it fit in my carry-on along with a wetsuit, flashlight, camera, BC hangar, etc.), and it comes with a sturdier bladder and stainless D-rings. It's a little pricier than the Brigade and Escape, but well worth the extra $$$,(to me), for the aforementioned features. There are several Zeagle owners on the board, who know more about this stuff than me, but it is a great performer in tropical waters. Hope this helps!

I agree 100%. I love mine too. When I compared it to the Brigade I liked having the back pad, trim wt pockets and size for travel.

Skinsfan1311:
While I don't profess to be an expert, while diving, I had the opportunity to compare the Ranger, & Brigade, to my Stiletto. The Ranger seems to be a heavier duty, (and heavier), BC with more D-rings and probably more lift. It does not look to be a travel BC.

The Brigade looked similiar to the Ranger, but had a lighter bladder. It's the same bladder used on Zeagle's light travel BC, the Escape. (do a search and Zeagle BC's are described ad nauseum:wink: )

I chose the Stiletto, because it packs small, (it fit in my carry-on along with a wetsuit, flashlight, camera, BC hangar, etc.), and it comes with a sturdier bladder and stainless D-rings. It's a little pricier than the Brigade and Escape, but well worth the extra $$$,(to me), for the aforementioned features. There are several Zeagle owners on the board, who know more about this stuff than me, but it is a great performer in tropical waters. Hope this helps!

Yes, it does have the trim pockets and all the d rings of the ranger. Honestly, for me, the best combination would be the Stiletto bladder with the Ranger harness. But the Brigade is almost that.

I really liked the harness of the Ranger better than the Stiletto, but wanted something smaller than the Ranger for Travel.... So the obvious choice was the Brigade, and I love it.

Tmoto:
Yes, it does have the trim pockets and all the d rings of the ranger. Honestly, for me, the best combination would be the Stiletto bladder with the Ranger harness. But the Brigade is almost that.

I really liked the harness of the Ranger better than the Stiletto, but wanted something smaller than the Ranger for Travel.... So the obvious choice was the Brigade, and I love it.

How much smaller is the Stiletto than the Brigade? Not that it matters much now since I ordfered my Brigade yesterday.

:D

Skinsfan1311:
I just got back from 5 days of diving in Grand Cayman with a brand new Zeagle Stiletto. This is my first experience with a back-inflate. I can sum up the Stiletto in one word.

Awesome!

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have, concerning this BC.

I used the Stiletto this past weekend on a shore dive and i loved it. What is a good price on this BC. The dive shop i rented from priced me one for 600$,but i found one on leisure pro for 479$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom