Zeagle Stiletto Sizing Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikolai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, any help or advice is appreciated so thanks in advance...

I currently own a Size LG Stiletto BC and am having an issue with fit that I would like some advice about. I am 6'4" tall and slim built. The waist of my bc fits perfect but the shoulder section seems quite short to me. I wonder if changing over to an XL shoulder section would lengthen the BC overall and solve my issues?

The biggest problem I have is that I have to wear the BC very high so that the cummerbund is basically around my lower ribs, rather than my waist. I also have to mount my tank VERY high in the bc to get my head trimmed downward so I'm not upright in the water column. Even wearing it in this fashion the little velcro loop that holds the inflator hose rests atop my shoulders so the inflator hose is sticking almost straight up and into the side of my mask. Sadly the shop I bought it from assured me it was the right fit for me when I bought it and as I purchased it as my 1st BC out of certification it took me a while to figure out that the issue wasn't just me but the BC sizing.

Basically I'd like to know if:

1. Would the XL shoulder section allow me to wear the BC lower and stay in trim or would lowering the weight section shift too much weight toward my waist making it impossible to trim level.
2. How much does a replacement shoulder section cost? Hate to spend a bunch and find out it still doesn't fit...
3. Would the larger shoulder section significantly lengthen the section that holds the inflator hose so its not positioned right in my face?

Secondly I'd be interested to know if the Zeagle backplate would work with this wing? Is it compatible with people as tall as me or is it made in a long cut? Also what is done with the little flaps with the plastic clips on the wing if its switched to a Zeagle BP?

Any advice is appreciated. I LOVE the build quality and ruggedness of this BC and its great for travel but I've exhausted all ideas for getting it to balance better as is.

Thanks

Call ScubaToys and find out what parts of your torso to measure. Do the measurements and call them back.

They sell LOTS of Zeagle BCs and are expert at putting together the different sized parts to make sure they fit.

Pull up the backpad on the inside of the BC and you'll see some straps that can be adjusted to allow the BC to sit lower on your body (can adjust to give you more or less room for the shoulder straps). Try all the adjustment points first before getting a larger side. That's one of the big benefits of the Stiletto, it's extremely adjustable.

Also, the Stiletto wing will work on any standard backplate. I had one on a dive rite backplate for a while and it worked perfectly. I just zip tied the flaps in to the bungie so they didn't flat around and it was easy to return to the original BC

Thx so far.

First, yeah Scubatoys will get my call if I decide to buy something :)
Wish I knew about them a year ago!

Also I already have the 3 straps adjusted so far that the velcro sections from the shoulder section and waist sections that are supposed to go together are about 1" apart! I only have about 1/16th inch of webbing left sticking out :)

Thx for the answer about it working on any standard plate, I'm eventually wanna go BP/W but can't afford an entire new setup for now, hence my ques. about the zeagle plate.

Thx. Appreciate everything so far!

1. Would the XL shoulder section allow me to wear the BC lower and stay in trim or would lowering the weight section shift too much weight toward my waist making it impossible to trim level.

Yes, the larger shoulders will allow you to wear the BC lower. The weights are meant to sit on your hips...not around your rib cage, so wearing it lower is a good thing!!!

2. How much does a replacement shoulder section cost? Hate to spend a bunch and find out it still doesn't fit...

About $65...

3. Would the larger shoulder section significantly lengthen the section that holds the inflator hose so its not positioned right in my face?

The corrugated hose is probably 19" long, so changing the shoulder section is not going to make the hose longer. You can get a longer RE assembly, in a 23" length, if you so desire...

Secondly I'd be interested to know if the Zeagle backplate would work with this wing? Is it compatible with people as tall as me or is it made in a long cut? Also what is done with the little flaps with the plastic clips on the wing if its switched to a Zeagle BP?

Yes, the wing will work with our backplate system. The system will come with the straps to clip the wings to the harness.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you sir!

All my questions answered, I appreciate it. I

just wondered how exactly the larger size shoulder section worked, whether it widened it for larger people or lengthened it for taller people. Actually I really like the short inflator hose, just the little velcro loop for holding it that says "stiletto" on it sits directly on top of my shoulders, making it point straight up in my face :)

Thanks for the help!

Thank you sir!

All my questions answered, I appreciate it. I

just wondered how exactly the larger size shoulder section worked, whether it widened it for larger people or lengthened it for taller people. Actually I really like the short inflator hose, just the little velcro loop for holding it that says "stiletto" on it sits directly on top of my shoulders, making it point straight up in my face :)

Thanks for the help!

The shoulder section gets longer, for taller people. It does not get wider.

As far as your velcro loop goes, try taking it off and moving it down. It comes off, and the shoulder has different spaces, so that you can adjust it to your liking.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom