Zeagle VI Flathead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi does anyone knows if the Zeagle Flathead also has this
stupid 1 1/2 unf port?

Is there any other difference between the Zeagle and the Apeks tx100? Which one is better?
Thank you. :mean: :mean:

Yes, the Zeagle Flathead VI has the 1/2 port, and it is not exactly the same as the Apeks reg. Apeks used to make the Zeagle regs, however Zeagle makes their own regs now and have for a while, they kept the basic design of the Apeks and improved on it in some areas. I have and absolutely love a Zeagle Flathead VI, it is truly an awesome reg, I also have and love two Apeks regs, you can't go wrong with either one. I personally do not have any problem with the 1/2 inch port, and it amuses me to read some of the posts and arguments that some people make against it, of it bothers you that bad or if you blow hoses all of the time all over the world, just get a port adapter to 3/8. Problem solved!

The problem with the 1/2" port is the gimmickiness of it. It's a sales pitch at best.

So, what has Zeagle done to improve the Apeks TX100? I've heard this said by you several times, but I've never heard the specifics of it. In fact, most techs tell me the opposite. Of course, most who say such things are salesmen too.

:)

Mike

Hey Yoop, it was not my intention to run off at the mouth and give false info or slam Apeks regs. As I have also stated many times, I own Apeks and Zeagle regs, and I can't fault either one of them. It is my understanding that the high pressure seat in the new Zeagle regs is a special replaceable insert, instead of the seat being cast into the body like the Apeks regs, this is supposed to be an improvement according to the Zeagle folks, of course they are as you stated, salesmen. Also I said that the Zeagle Flathead VI has the 1/2" port, and the first ones they made and sold did have it, however they have changed that and all of the new Flatheads being made now are all standered 3/8, so I guess it was a big enough problem that Zeagle thought they should change it. I have never intended to mislead anyone on this board and I am sorry if I did. Hope this helps.

Not a problem. I tell ya, if Zeagle does make the Flathead with all 3/8" ports, it may perk my interest. The hose routing is better for doubles with the Flathead (TX100) first stages. I'll be keeping my eye on all of that.

Take care.

Mike

I have a new Zeagle Flathead and it doesn't have the stupid 1/2" port. All hoses are interchangeable except the HP of course.
Improvements: Try exceeding the USN requirements of 198' at over 300' for one thing...

Here are the differences in design that I know of:

1. Zeagle has a slightly larger heat exchanger in the second stage and the second stage appears a little smaller.

2. The HP design of the Zeagle is from an engineering point a view possibly longer lasting. ( time will tell) The reason is hard to explain without a picture but here goes. http://www.zeagle.com/reg2001_design.htm

The previous Apeks design ( and most others) features a seat arrangement very similiar to the LP seat in your regulator except harder materials. the HP seat assembly seals against the raised metal cone and a ring shaped impression develops quickly. Eventually the ring will become too deep or irregular and the seat will fail or "creep"

The new seat design features a metal cone which locates into a cylinder of plastic seat material which should allow more accurate positioning over multiple cycles and in theory offer a longer life. ( it looked good when I was at the reg. clinic)

3. Zeagle also has a full lifetime warrenty providing you get it serviced yearly. ( means your parts are free you just pay for labour).

I am still diving DS4/TX50's but am seriously looking at buying two of the flat head sixes to try out as they have spent a lot of time working on these reg designs and I liked the people I met who were behind them.

On a side note, Jim Fox who is one of there lead reg guys worked at Sherwood for many years before they pulled the rug out from under most of their staff and handed back all their distribution to the Liberty group ( genseis/akona).

Zeagle recognized an opportunity and hired him asap . Jim is a smart cookie and while Sherwood are not known as high performance he has brought one of sherwoods biggest mantras to zeagle which is reliability and ease of service.

I think that zeagle is gaining more market share and once they get out of the shadow of Apeks they will come into their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom