Zeagle Ziptouch vs. Ripcord Backplate Weight Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilikediiiiving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

In the process of converting the Tech BCD to a backplate.
Purchased the Zeagle stainless backplate and mounted the Tech Wing to the plate.

I typically dive with 16 lbs. of lead in my 7mm wetsuit in New England waters.
The backplate takes 5lbs out of that equation.
Single tank at the moment; doubles eventually.
In the meantime, I need to add ~10 lbs of lead to the plate.

Considering the Ripcord and Ziptouch, which look identical to their counterparts on the Tech (waist vs. trim) pockets and I am wondering what is a better option to keep the backplate, well, more of a backplate and less of a tech BCD without the padding.

Does the ripcord system include only weight pockets, or are the accessory pockets there as well?

Are there any better pictures available of how these install on the deluxe BP harness?

Thanks in advance.

The ripcord system includes only the weight pockets....there are no accesory pockets on it.

They both mount directly to the backplate via screw fasteners, and are super simple to install....seriously, once you have either one in your hand it is really self explanitory!

Thanks,

Scott

I dive the backplate and use the rip cord system when diving lighter. They are really easy to take on and off ass needed and when I use them I am usually only adding about 4 pounds to offset light tanks with a dry suit.

I may be splitting hairs here, but when I do use rip cord pockets they do limit where I can put my side D rings or light canister. I haven't tried using the zip touch system on my plate so I don't know if it is an issue with them but it looks like they may stay out of the way.

Quick question: do you dive singles or doubles?
I'm probably going to finish out this season with singles and move to doubles next year.
Is there a STA or other equipment I should consider if I plan on diving singles regularly, or will the tank straps themselves suffice?

You should only need the straps.

My wing is a 55lb Manta bolted to the plate at the outer edge on the plate.
This keeps the wing more under control when using a single tank.

For single tank diving the Zeagle plate has slots cut into it to accommodate the same two strap system the all of the Zeagle BCDs use. This is a little tighter setup than using a metal stand off STA other companies use. I use this setup with a single AL 80, my HP steel 100 or my LP steel 120. I use the weight systems with the 80 and sometimes the steel 100 but never with the LP 120.

To go back to double HP steel 100s I yanks the straps off and bolt the twins back on.
No big deal at all.

Back
Top Bottom