Zebra mussels have spread across the country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An instructor friend of mine has a map turtle he has trained to eat zebra mussels. Wouldn't it be kind of cool to train an army of turtles to decimate these little buggers, then turn 'em loose?

There are many species of map turtles, some broad-headed (eat more shell fish) & some narrow-headed (eat more small &/or soft-bodied invertebrates), & females get larger (& in the broad-headed maps have larger, more powerful heads) than males.

Those map turtles who eat mussels don't have to be trained; it's just natural. The proliferation of zebra mussels is just offering them a new food source. I wouldn't expect the female broad-headed map species to wipe them out, but they'll put a dent in them!

Richard.

drrich2:
Those map turtles who eat mussels don't have to be trained; it's just natural. The proliferation of zebra mussels is just offering them a new food source. I wouldn't expect the female broad-headed map species to wipe them out, but they'll put a dent in them!

Richard.
They using the wrong Bar-B-Q sauce? :confused:

Gary D.

Birds definitly are known to carry them as is scuba diving gear. N

chrisc:
There is a process out West for boats. Any boat that has been East of the Mississippi in the last 6 weeks has to be pressure washed and witness by a park ranger. On the down side the only way they will know or ask is by the registration number on the boat.

What about the interior engine parts where the larvae grow?

They are NOT zebra mussels in Lake Mead, they are Quagga Mussels - same family different species. They reproduce 12 months (year round) where as the Zebra mussels reproduces only 6 months. They are bigger in total size also.

Here in the Great Lakes we have not only Zebra mussels but also gobies from the Baltic Sea. They are quite ugly and very boney. And, now a new report, from Muskegon Michigan.....we have zillions of 'bloody shrimp"....I don't know where they originated but all these invasive species are a pain in the ar$$!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom