Zena Pull Cord on OPV valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTA_Diving_Wonder

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya,

One of the pull cords (there are two) for the OPV release valves on my Zena got caught in the bench of a boat, and pulled off. Looking closer at it after unscrewing the OPV valve, the cord snapped at the entry point to the round thingey inside the valve. I pulled the rubber backing off of this round plastic peace that the cord threads through.

To fix this, can I just thread the pull cord through the hole, knot it to hold, then glue the rubber backing back onto it? Or do I need to replace the whole pull cord assembly?

Thanks!,
J

To fix this, can I just thread the pull cord through the hole, knot it to hold, then glue the rubber backing back onto it? Or do I need to replace the whole pull cord assembly?

Thanks!,
J
It is that simple. I would recommend replacing the entire cord.

No wonder GUE promotes using a simple cord with a knot (No ball) in the end so it doesn't catch on things...

I use a 1/8" cord that is stiffer and slightly larger requiring the holes to be made slightly larger. Since it is too large of a string to tie a knot into I sew/whip a ball of thread onto the end to hold it in place, then knot the hand side.

Thank you Peter!

What kind of glue would you recommend to hold the inside piece? Seems like it would need to be waterproof, and hold rubber and plastic together. I have no clue :)

I'm not sure why they make the cord so thin and short. It's fine for diving in warm water without gloves, but with cold hands and thick gloves it's an effort to find the thing.

I'm not sure why they make the cord so thin and short. It's fine for diving in warm water without gloves, but with cold hands and thick gloves it's an effort to find the thing.
Go to Home Depot and get a slightly larger and stiffer cord. Drill out the dump valve to clear the new cord, and install it. As I said I use a much thicker one than even #36 that can't take a knot on the inside end, so I use thread and whip the end, then sew back and forth through it. A couple drops of Super Glue, and it is never coming apart. One small knot on the end you grab and not only is it easier to feel with dry gloves since it is stiffer, but it doesn't catch on stuff, and always seems to stick straight out.

Worked like a charm, thank you Peter! I'm thankful I have a couple pool sessions of getting it wet to test the bond before our spring checkout dive. It appears to work quite well so far, the BC held full air overnight, with a few discharge tests from the repaired valve showing good deflation.

Back
Top Bottom