Zero to hero Divemaster program in 30 days - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve, Given your response below, let me ask a hypothetical question.

If a diver that had 1000's of dives, in many different conditions but never really thought about being an instructor found himself out of work. He signed up for the course and passed with flying colors, would you feel the same way?

I don't believe a diver with 1000s of dives applies to his response below (well, above I guess :p). It specifically referred to "zero to hero."

Blackwood pretty much answered for me, that someone entering this program with 1000+ dives is not a zero. and might be one of the few good graduates to come out of such a program despite the program itself. However, as a graduate of a school known for zero to hero programs, he wouldn't even get an interview with me.

Hummm...

How come the little blue letters give you a dead web page when you click on them?

As someone with about 700 dives over 14years from 38f to 80f, full cave, normoxic trimix, and a USCG skipper, I would resent a zero-to-hero being in charge of any of my substantive dives. If its a 40ft reef bimble, I could care less. Beyond that, I am vastly more qualified to judge the plan/boat/group/buddy/site etc. And I imagine alot of even vacation divers are more qualified than the zero-to-hero as well.

A "leader" with authority but no credibility is worse than worthless. Credibility does not come from cards.

This is hardly a unique program. You can find this sort of thing just about anywhere.

Become a diver in a weekend is the norm pretty much and I've seen more than a few become instructor in one season and most instructors do it in two seasons max.

He's just following the standards that have been set...

As someone with about 700 dives over 14years from 38f to 80f, full cave, normoxic trimix, and a USCG skipper, I would resent a zero-to-hero being in charge of any of my substantive dives. If its a 40ft reef bimble, I could care less. Beyond that, I am vastly more qualified to judge the plan/boat/group/buddy/site etc. And I imagine alot of even vacation divers are more qualified than the zero-to-hero as well.

A "leader" with authority but no credibility is worse than worthless. Credibility does not come from cards.

The problem is that there isn't any way to tell without asking to see a C-Card. Your DM could have been diving since dirt was invented or since this morning (or not actually be a DM at all)

Terry

The problem is that there isn't any way to tell without asking to see a C-Card. Your DM could have been diving since dirt was invented or since this morning (or not actually be a DM at all)

Terry

Maybe. But most of the time I can tell after watching someone gear up, splash and dive for a few minutes if they are any good at.

Terry

I disagree. I am pretty confident that most of us regulars here would sniff out a zero-to-hero DM (or instructor) pretty quick. Especially if the conditions/boat/dive/plan/group was at all challenging.

If circumstances are benign and easy, then the zero-to-hero might not be so obvious. Which of course begs the question of whether they are even necessary for the rankest of beginners needing a "guide".

Terry

That line of defense is drawn by the employer, and I believe is the trigger for divemedics rant about hiring practices. A reputable boat or dive center will see an unqualified applicant and not hire them. An incompetant DM or instructor reflects very poorly on the operation as a whole. I have 1 overriding criterion for hiring instructors: taken as a whole, would I [-]allow[/-] want this individual to teach my 14 year old daughter? If I have any reservations on that count the interview is over. Thanks for playing, bye bye

There is nothing wrong with these zero-to-hero programs. They emerge as a result of market demand. This principle exists in all educational programs diving being no exception. Like anywhere else the hero with no credibility ideally has to have hard time getting one (credibility). The only thing is that the level of such a diver should be appropriate for corresponding level of teaching. Sometimes it's not worth spending time of a well trained tech teacher for teaching basics in the OW class if he has better business to do. His time would be just spent right.

The only thing is that the experience information , not just the card, of the DM should be available to the others

Back
Top Bottom