Zika

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm surprised by the absence of any discussion about zika on Bonaire in this forum. I agree there's no reason to be alarmist, and personally I'm not concerned about my upcoming trip next month (woot!) But I'm not a woman who is pregnant or likely to get pregnant. (I'm neither female, nor young enough for it to be an issue if I were.) Most cases of Zika are mild and often go unnoticed.

BUT, the link between Zika and a range of tragic birth defects has been firmly established now, so any woman in that category should be extra careful about mosquito bites.

And it's true, there was only one reported case of Zika on Bonaire back in February. But it's spreading quite rapidly everywhere else. All it takes is a few travelers with the virus plus hungry mosquitos.

Zika Virus in Bonaire - Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

Again, I'm not trying to be a fear-monger, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any information on this forum for the benefit of younger women planning a trip. Or for younger men whose partners might be pregnant, since it can be sexually transmitted.

I'm surprised by the absence of any discussion about zika on Bonaire in this forum. I agree there's no reason to be alarmist, and personally I'm not concerned about my upcoming trip next month (woot!) But I'm not a woman who is pregnant or likely to get pregnant. (I'm neither female, nor young enough for it to be an issue if I were.) Most cases of Zika are mild and often go unnoticed.

BUT, the link between Zika and a range of tragic birth defects has been firmly established now, so any woman in that category should be extra careful about mosquito bites.

And it's true, there was only one reported case of Zika on Bonaire back in February. But it's spreading quite rapidly everywhere else. All it takes is a few travelers with the virus plus hungry mosquitos.

Zika Virus in Bonaire - Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

Again, I'm not trying to be a fear-monger, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any information on this forum for the benefit of younger women planning a trip. Or for younger men whose partners might be pregnant, since it can be sexually transmitted.
I wouldn't be quite so caviler, there is growing evidence linking Zika infection and guillain barre. Not to mention it is the same mosquito vector for Dengue fever and Chikungunya (both of which are present in the greater Carribbean).

I certainly won't stop traveling to infected areas, enhanced precautions against mosquito bites seems very prudent

Right. I knew about Guillain Barre, but my impression was the rate is fairly low. I was aiming for a tone somewhere between cavalier and alarmist. Guess I missed!

In any case, I hate all species of mosquitos, mainly because they seem to love me.

Tough to balance the tone between cavalier and alarmist. I aim for concerned and lowering my risks by staying inside during prime feeding hours and never leaving home without my bug spray applied. Bugs like me too.

I was working in the hospital on St. Thomas when Chikungunya struck (and the Ebola outbreak in Africa was in full swing). Several colleagues came down with it, the ER was overflowing and everyday was crisis mode at the peak. Wait times were upward of 8-10 hours. It was extremely painful per my co-workers.

I predict the complications and secondary issues related to these viruses will not be fully known for years. This is from personal experience, I'm not a doctor and don't play one but had Lyme twice, developed Bells Palsy 5 years post infection. No one suggested a link between the two at that time, it was only 10 years later the first hint between the two came to be. I applaud the CDC for getting the word out and trying to create awareness without panic.

@Jersey: Yikes. Lyme Disease twice? With deer running through our back yard all the time I've worried about it, but have been lucky thus far. But ticks aren't nearly as mobile as mosquitos, so these "new" (to the Western Hemisphere) diseases like Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika are a different (and potentially more serious) problem. And link with birth defects is a new and scary twist.

Awareness without panic is definitely the goal. Where's my DEET?

@Jersey: Yikes. Lyme Disease twice? With deer running through our back yard all the time I've worried about it, but have been lucky thus far. But ticks aren't nearly as mobile as mosquitos, so these "new" (to the Western Hemisphere) diseases like Dengue, Chikungunya, and Zika are a different (and potentially more serious) problem. And link with birth defects is a new and scary twist.

Awareness without panic is definitely the goal. Where's my DEET?

"Keep the DEET" could be a new tag line. Agree - ticks are less mobile, my point is the long term effects of these viruses may not be known for years to come. There may be other birth related links uncovered. I think Guillian Barre is pretty scary, what happens if the post-infection rate goes up over time, we just don't know. I was very cautious working in an area ripe with Dengue and a Chikungunya outbreak. Viruses are scary. Epidemics, pandemics and vector-borne diseases are scary. It doesn't take many agents. This may be a better topic for dive medicine in general, not necessarily the Bonaire forum, though I understand with an upcoming trip it's a good question..

Bonaire has had Dengue signs posted for at least the last 8 years.. Now my Dutch and Papiamentu are not what they should be, so I don't know what the sign reads. My suggestions, close up windows as the winds die off in the afternoon and don't leave home without DEET containing bug spray on ALL OVER (they love my ankles and feet). We were at Buddy Dive Feb - March they sprayed one day, gave us advance notice it was happening. I think they also had chemical attraction cache pots scattered around the resort so they are aware of the issue.

Yes, Lyme twice. South Jersey and SE PA (and Philadelphia!) are overrun with deer. First time, never saw a rash, went undiagnosed for a couple months, had blood work, the titer came back and I was on antibiotics. I refer to that as my 'Lost Year', took that long for some recovery. Second time I had the classic bulls eye rash, immediately started antibiotic course. Five years after the first and 1 year after the second I came down with Bells Palsy. I also have some arthritis in a hip. Will either kill me? No, but who knows what else is lurking.

Enjoy Bonaire!

We were eating at a place in town near the water (forget the name) after sunset and I got swarmed by the suckers. Didn't seem to be bothering my wife as much. The waitress told me it was my black teeshirt. Have never heard that before, but I guess if you are a waiter on the waterfront you are a defacto expert on it!!!

We were eating at a place in town near the water (forget the name) after sunset and I got swarmed by the suckers. Didn't seem to be bothering my wife as much. The waitress told me it was my black teeshirt. Have never heard that before, but I guess if you are a waiter on the waterfront you are a defacto expert on it!!!
I believe your waitress may have been on the money. From howstuffworks (cited in the wikipedia entry on mosquito):
HowStuffWorks:
Mosquitoes are insects that have been around for more than 30 million years. And it seems that, during those millions of years, mosquitoes have been honing their skills so that they are now experts at finding people to bite. Mosquitoes have a battery of sensors designed to track their prey, including:

• Chemical sensors - mosquitoes can sense carbon dioxide and lactic acid up to 100 feet (36 meters) away. Mammals and birds gives off these gases as part of their normal breathing. Certain chemicals in sweat also seem to attract mosquitoes (people who don't sweat much don't get nearly as many mosquito bites).
  • Visual sensors - if you are wearing clothing that contrasts with the background, and especially if you move while wearing that clothing, mosquitoes can see you and zero in on you. It's a good bet that anything moving is "alive", and therefore full of blood, so this is a good strategy.
  • Heat sensors - Mosquitoes can detect heat, so they can find warm-blooded mammals and birds very easily once they get close enough.

In Florida, it is often mused that our state bird should be named the mosquito. Off (DEET) and citronella candles are effective repellents. Even the Off "familycare" with a lower concentration of DEET seems to work well for me.

When we were on Bonaire this winter we met some folks who had one of these-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031ESIVK/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_1
He had gotten Chikungunya while on Bonaire a few years prior and took a lot of precautions as a result.
We sat outside with them one night and also ate at a restaurant with this under the table and never got a single bite. I have never been exposed to these things previously, as we really don't have misquotes here, but all I can say is that it worked. One may be in the luggage the next trip down.

Salth2owannabe, now I really want one!! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to travel with the butane cells. Grrrr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom