Looking for best price on Scuba Equipment, then look no further…BEAVER DIVERS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gud Timez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you don’t want to read my long dissertation then just call/email Beaver Divers in Vail, CO and tell them to give you a quote you wont be disappointed! The contact info is below.

Casey & Emily Zwaan = Owners of Beaver Divers
Danny Knoll = Employee/Technician
Contact Us
(970) 949-1012

In full disclosure, I am a bit of analytical person and am known in my group to dig into details of things sometimes to my own detriment. Also, I am not getting any compensation or a pat on the back from Beaver Divers to write this review. They did such an outstanding job that I felt that the least that I could do was endorse them to the best of my ability. So with that being said below is my narrative of how I came to do business with Beaver Divers out of Vail, CO.

I have not dove in about 16 years, but always wanted to get back into it one day. My father in law is an avid diver and fisherman, but I was reluctant to ever go with him, as I did not feel comfortable due to the years since I had been. I decided to take a refresher course and my wife said that she would enjoy getting certified as well, so I went to one of the local dive shops to sign us up. Where we would be diving out of did not have a place to rent gear so I knew we would need to purchase our own equipment and to complicate matters the equipment had changed a lot since I last dove.

I got on the Internet and started reading about diving and diving equipment, which led me quickly to ScubaBoard.com. I continued for several weeks reading and compiling a list of equipment with their corresponding prices based on a large online retailer (you know the one!) Not surprisingly, I had a taste for the finest equipment out there and had decided that I would not have anything less. Of the items I needed was a dive computer which when I took my certification we used gauges. The discrepancy in dive computers and prices was enormous and I found that I would feel better starting a conversation on Scuba Board and getting some direct recommendations. I got many responses quickly and they all said that they recommended the UWATEC Galileo Sol computer. This is where I met Casey of Beaver Divers. He gave me a great opinion then asked if I would be interested in a quote on gear and that I would not be disappointed. This intrigued me as I usually love calling BS on people and disproving them via their calculations in my office. I told him that I would appreciate a quote and I sent him what I was looking to purchase.

In the meantime my local dive shop had sent me a quote on the same gear that I sent Casey at Beaver Divers. His quote came back just a little bit less than the large online retailer which I figured was about as good as I could get. At that point I had only asked for a quote on a Zeagle Ranger, Zeagle Lazer, ScubaPro MK 25 S600 (for both of us) and whatever computer he recommended for both of us. When Casey emailed me his quote the next day, the difference was so dramatic that I thought he had only quoted for one of us. Not only did he get me the Zegale Ranger LTD (which is really what I wanted but my LDS told me that I didn’t need it) the exact regulators I wanted AND the Galileo Sol for both of us! This was just the basics of what I needed, so I asked him if he would like to quote me on more gear which he did and completely knocked the online retailer and my LDS out of the water on price. To further vet Beaver Divers, I emailed Scuba Pro’s corporate office and within a few hours had received an email back from them stating that Beaver Divers was a very reputable business and to make my purchases in confidence.

Other than saving me a lot of money of what the online retailer charged, they did it with customer service that is second to none. They literally spent hours with me via telephone and email helping me decides on equipment and facilitating the sale. To contrast this behavior, my LDS owner put me in an awkward situation when we went to the shop to do our final exam after the check out dive. He obviously had heard through the grapevine that I had purchased my equipment somewhere else and in front of everyone started giving me a hard time and claiming that he could have matched Beaver Divers price. My response was basically “I spent approximately $11k based on a large online retailers prices and did not pay anywhere near that. If you cant beat’em, join’em.” Hopefully this was a lesson learned for him that PRICE and CUSTOMER SERVICE are very important. Please do not think that I took joy in taking business from my LDS owner and I actually like the guy a lot. It was strictly a business matter and I have been on both sides of that same conversation in my own business dealings.

I hope this story will help you when you need to make a new equipment purchase and to give Beaver Divers a chance to earn your business. Below is a picture of some of the gear I bought from them.

500.jpg

Never contact the manufacturer regarding prices charged by one of their vendors. If the prices sold were less than what the manufacturer authorizes the shop can lose their contract with the manufacturer. You can bet that your LDS will call Scubapro to complain. All you needed to do was look on SP's website and see that they are an authorized dealer and then check for any BBB complaints against them.

Also Beaver is a Scubapro Platinum Dealer which means they should only sell Scubapro. Maybe Scubapro relaxed this policy. So I am a bit confused over how they sold you Zeagle BC's when they are not a Zeagle dealer.

Your posting may do Beaver Divers more harm than good.

The discrepancy in dive computers and prices was enormous and I found that I would feel better starting a conversation on Scuba Board and getting some direct recommendations. I got many responses quickly and they all said that they recommended the UWATEC Galileo Sol computer.

Would you mind pointing us to that thread? Because I'm calling BS on anyone other than the Beav recommending that outdated POS. If you'd wanted to blow that much money on a dive computer, you'd have been better advised to buy a Shearwater Petrel...not that Beav would ever tell you that, because he deals ScubaPro/Uwatec exclusively.

Would you mind pointing us to that thread? Because I'm calling BS on anyone other than the Beav recommending that outdated POS. If you'd wanted to blow that much money on a dive computer, you'd have been better advised to buy a Shearwater Petrel...not that Beav would ever tell you that, because he deals ScubaPro/Uwatec exclusively.

Ouch. Not that I disagree about the sol, but ouch.

Now you get to learn the next lesson in purchasing scuba gear, and that lesson is to never check the prices again after buying because it usually just makes you angry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom